Red Dead 2 PC optimal version for Modding

I am looking to purchase Red Dead Redemption 2 for the PC to load up and Mod RDR2. I know when I started modding on GTA V the version that was needed was the non-steam version with the Rockstar Launcher. DVD store version. Where is the best place to purchase RDR2 for PC that will work correctly with AB’s Scripthook and Open V. Not interested in free or cracked versions. I believe in paying developers for their hard work. Even supporting Mod creators via Patreon. As a side note if you are in the Mod community Alexander Blade, Julio NIB and Jedi Josh are the life blood of modding and deserve our support via Patreon. (Many other worthy developers also but they are my faves) Thanks .....Looking forward to riding my tiny horse or even an Iguana off into the western sunset. (Check out Julio NIB pig rider....looks awesome) Can’t wait until the day comes when Trevor Phillips and Niko Bellic ride into Valentine. Trevor F@#&%n Phillips....Remember that! Niko will see smoke signals from Roman.  Hey Niko lets go Bowling!

Have fun...Stay Safe. 

I would recommend the R* version as that was released first and hence is probably the version most people interested in modding the game have.

• Like 1

If you want to purchase the game, steam would be a suboptimal choice. Because when you have it on steam, you still need a rockstar account and the rockstar launcher.

As much as I dislike the rockstar launcher, it is the best way to play it (if you want to buy the game, that is), because on all the other platforms you will have to have two launchers running.

• 1 month later...

Well, for RDR2 the different versions are identical.

GTA V had separate builds for R* Launcher and Steam, as Steam had SteamAPI support, etc.

But with RDR2 they use the same builds for all versions (Haven't changed Epic Games launcher, but I'd assume it's the same), and the game simply loads the Steam API dynamically if it's the Steam version, instead of being linked to it statically.

So there shouldn't really be any difference, other than how the game files are downloaded.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2020 at 8:28 AM, Barkinspider said:

I am looking to purchase Red Dead Redemption 2 for the PC to load up and Mod RDR2. I know when I started modding on GTA V the version that was needed was the non-steam version with the Rockstar Launcher. DVD store version. Where is the best place to purchase RDR2 for PC that will work correctly.

Simple Answer: Rockstar Launcher. DRMs like Steam and EGS seem to cause some issues (Mostly EGS but who wants to buy stuff there anyway). Rockstar Launcher is also better since shortcuts don't need to open Steam or EGS, then Rockstar then the game. I have had many issues with GTA IV and V because of Steam opening then Rockstar and sometimes it just gets stuck. Best Idea is to buy it directly from Rockstar.

From experience steam has been good to me there, but as stated above, it will go through the rockstar launcher either way (though it is nice and easy to do offline mode through steam launch functions).

Steam would be best if they had a workshop for RDR2 but it doesn't look like they want to take that path unfortunately, not yet at least.