HUGE Problem with Modding RDR2 That No One is Talking About

Dagger323

21 hours ago, Sweetwater said:

I have a hunch that trains does not spawn with passengers during rainy and stormy weathers. Someone test this.

I just wanted to call attention to this because for me, the second train that appeared for me happened either during a heavy rain storm or the storm started (or perhaps intensified) while chasing the train to check for passengers. I believe however that it was already at least raining, and as I caught up to it to check for passengers it was by then pouring rain. This was when I was using both the gameconfig mod and the altered WhyEm's textures, and I indirectly mentioned this instance in my initial post because after I slowed and allowed the train to pass I noticed my frame rate had dropped down to 30 FPS and would not pick back up unless I was looking directly at the ground or the sky.

Which ties into a follow up I intended to make after testing a bit further. I had severe frame rate issues happen a second time, again when chasing a train, but this time I went up north and into a snow storm. Both times I noticed my external SSD was hitting unusually high temperatures; nothing dangerous, but normally it barely even heats up at all. Well I've since tested my game (on my epilogue 2 save and as of last night on a brand new save file as Arthur) using only vincemeister's WhyEm's textures, having deleted the gameconfig mod, and so far I am still experiencing an abundance of varied road traffic with passengers and trains, but none of the heating up or halved frame rates.

Obviously I will need to get some more testing in and have yet to try it with a 100% WhyEm's outfit or with his gun textures, but with the hairstyles and a few pieces of clothing my game is back to running perfectly at a steady high frame rate and no more populated traffic issues. As I mentioned earlier I don't believe I was experiencing animal spawn issues, because for months using mods I've been able to reliably find Moose, cougars, panthers, the various rare birds needed for Algernon, etc. I played entirely vanilla for two playthroughs on PC and lost count of how many hours I played on Xbox when it was new, so I am fairly certain my idea of what ought to be expected out of wild life and traffic isn't over or underestimated. 

Another problem with texture mods is that some of them are just unreasonably bloated with textures that don't make sense. For example, the textures from WickedHorseMan's mods often have not only no compression, but also huge sizes that are not necessary. For instance, the 4096x4096-sized texture for animal teeth in his mammal packs. There's no way to tell the difference between a 512x512 and a 1024x1024 size texture for animal teeth in the game. Yet, we have one that's 16 times bigger than the vanilla archive. The same goes for his material upscales. There's no reason to upscale a material texture to 2048x2048. You can never see the difference in the game when it's applied. Even after repacking, his mods have a size of 10 GB, while the same original data has a size of 300 MB.

So, many mods could not only be optimized by reducing their size through texture compression and mod installation manipulation, but they could also be optimized overall with reasonable texture sizes for each type of texture in the dictionary.

I hope the authors will either update their mods or give permission for the community to optimize them and upload them with credit to the original work. Otherwise, we'll be stuck choosing between a single character overhaul mod or dozens of scripts and quality of life mods. That's a sad reality.

Edited by werwolf969
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2024 at 5:32 PM, vincemeister55 said:

Hey, I dont know about me solving the issue. But thanks for all your kind words. Anyway, here is my new and updated edit of WhyEm textures. The texture discoloration has been fixed, and I think its much more optimized than my previous edit.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/dc3w6bz5qrt1u01/WhyEm_DLC_edited_textures_by_vincemeister55.rar/file

Enjoy fellers!

Hey, thanks a bunch for this. This actually does not cause any spawn issues whatsoever. Im using multiple extra weapon mods and horse mods and evry train spawns with passengers around the correct time.

I just wanted to ask you, if you could maybe fix the cover textures, specifically the jorongos and ponchos. The red ones are kind of greenish tinted, idk why

Edited by HelloImCrimson

3 hours ago, HelloImCrimson said:

Hey, thanks a bunch for this. This actually does not cause any spawn issues whatsoever. Im using multiple extra weapon mods and horse mods and evry train spawns with passengers around the correct time.

I just wanted to ask you, if you could maybe fix the cover textures, specifically the jorongos and ponchos. The red ones are kind of greenish tinted, idk why

Hi! I've already fixed that in the latest version of my edit. I also just checked it in my game; everything is normal. But if it still bugs in yours, we have already provided instructions on what tools to use and the method of editing. You could try to edit those textures.

3 hours ago, vincemeister55 said:

Hi! I've already fixed that in the latest version of my edit. I also just checked it in my game; everything is normal. But if it still bugs in yours, we have already provided instructions on what tools to use and the method of editing. You could try to edit those textures.

Well, thanks for clarifying it's a problem with my game then. Ill definitely take a look. It's weird because that's the only mod I have editing any clothes.

I assume CodeX would work fine for this game and any photo editing software?

4 hours ago, vincemeister55 said:

Yes, CodeX is the main exporter and importer of textures and YTDs in RDR2. Edit the textures in any photo editing software.

Alright, cheers mate. Thank You for all your work man, this really made my day. Can't believe I can have WhyEms with no spawning issues now lol. Thank You so much.

EDIT: So, looking at almost all the 45 javier_wraps, they look way too dark

This is what the poncho mediafire link files look like for me. That's way too dark for that texture. Idk why

Could contain: outdoor, cloud, sky, grass, person, hiking, plant, clothing, riding, outdoor recreation

and this is what it looks like in the original.

Could contain: outdoor, grass, sky, person, plant, clothing, mountain, riding, horse

Edited by HelloImCrimson

5 hours ago, HelloImCrimson said:

Alright, cheers mate. Thank You for all your work man, this really made my day. Can't believe I can have WhyEms with no spawning issues now lol. Thank You so much.

EDIT: So, looking at almost all the 45 javier_wraps, they look way too dark

This is what the poncho mediafire link files look like for me. That's way too dark for that texture. Idk why

Could contain: outdoor, cloud, sky, grass, person, hiking, plant, clothing, riding, outdoor recreation

and this is what it looks like in the original.

Could contain: outdoor, grass, sky, person, plant, clothing, mountain, riding, horse

This is probably because when I edited the textures on the updated files, I used the SRGB format, which made the textures darker, and at the same time fixed those greenish tints in some of the dark textures. Most files work in that format, but some may not, like in your ss. That is easy to fix. You need to edit and save that texture into BC1 DXT5 Linear format. Then check it in-game if its fixed.

30 minutes ago, vincemeister55 said:

This is probably because when I edited the textures on the updated files, I used the SRGB format, which made the textures darker, and at the same time fixed those greenish tints in some of the dark textures. Most files work in that format, but some may not, like in your ss. That is easy to fix. You need to edit and save that texture into BC1 DXT5 Linear format. Then check it in-game if its fixed.

Gotcha. I will do that.

Have you tried or is it possible to save the textures in BC7 format for RDR 2? BC7 offers very nearly the same quality as uncompressed while still being the same size as DXT5 compressed textures. It works well for Skyrim for instance.

Edited by HelloImCrimson

3 minutes ago, HelloImCrimson said:

Gotcha. I will do that.

Have you tried or is it possible to save the textures in BC7 format for RDR 2? BC7 offers very nearly the same quality as uncompressed while still being the same size as DXT5 compressed textures. It works well for Skyrim for instance.

BC7 is okay. I prefer BC1 as it is smaller in size without a noticeable difference in quality. But yeah, its okay to use BC7.

8 minutes ago, vincemeister55 said:

BC7 is okay. I prefer BC1 as it is smaller in size without a noticeable difference in quality. But yeah, its okay to use BC7.

Ok then. Thank You for all the info. Since BC7 works, I'll be using that since I have a workspace setup for it from making Skyrim textures already and am most familiar with it.