HUGE Problem with Modding RDR2 That No One is Talking About

Dagger323

I think someone should make a spreadsheet of mods known to cause issues with relevant solutions for each mod or something. Crawling through this forum post is not the best way of deciphering what's good and what's not.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Osoa said:

I think someone should make a spreadsheet of mods known to cause issues with relevant solutions for each mod or something. Crawling through this forum post is not the best way of deciphering what's good and what's not.

I agree, it would be good to know what mods cause these problems and also what modifications we can do (like the modified whyem) to make it so it doesn't happen

4 hours ago, Zealous said:

Does using the custom gameconfig without whyem dlc solve the problem ?

Yes, but. It's not only WhyEm DLC that caused the problem. There are others too, like Firearm Cosmetics, Terrain Texture Overhaul, among others. WhyEm is just the more popular mod that's why it gets talked about a lot.

Also, the File Replacement method that dominator suggested, still can cause the spawning issue. Ive tested it. The good thing about the File Replacement method though is you'll have more leeway in using more big texture mods together unlike the streaming method. But eventually, you'll still reach the limit and the spawning issue. Its just a matter of testing texture mods together to see what's what.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 12:08 AM, Dagger323 said:

So after modding RDR2 for about five months (I first started modding it in early August 2023), it has now come to my attention that modding essentially breaks the game engine's ability to properly spawn in NPCs, wildlife, and even trains, in the way the game was intended. Trains rarely if ever spawn in, and if they do, NPCs will be nearly or completely absent from riding as passengers on the train, and the armed guard will be gone who usually stands at the back end of the caboose (only the engineer will be driving the train, but no one else will be present). NPCs will also essentially never be found riding as passengers in stagecoaches or in the back of wagons or riding shotgun next to the driver (only the driver will spawn in). In general, there will be less NPCs seen standing or sitting at train stops like Emerald Station or Wallace Station, or at various locations throughout the world. Further, wildlife is drastically reduced, with only a few birds and deer and whatnot scattered sparsely throughout the surrounding area, perhaps at about a 20 percent (or less) amount of the densely populated wildlife that is typically found in the vanilla game.

The only way to fix these issues is seemingly to uninstall most if not all mods to put less strain on the game engine and allow it to render in NPCs, trains, and wildlife correctly. I have had numerous mods installed from both rdr2mods as well as nexusmods, from modded quarter horse breeds/coats, to environment texture overhaul/upscales, to the Arthur Morgan Upscale Project, 4K Story and Side Characters, realistic gun metals and wickedhorseman's Firearm Cosmetics, euphoria ragdoll mods such as C.E.R.R, A.E.M and W.E.R.O, as well as PDO and fixes to decrease ped accuracy, and several others. All the mods I use regularly only require lml, scripthook and dinput8.dll, and none require version.dll or any online content unlocker, but it doesn't seem to make a difference either way - more than just a couple mods being installed at once still breaks the open world's NPCs, trains, and wildlife from spawning properly. I have had to remove almost all my horse mods, gun mods, texture mods, and combat mods like PDO in order to get the open world populated correctly again. Basically I have next to no mods that I downloaded that I can use at this point. This comes as quite a huge letdown for me, as I was really enjoying getting into modding the game how I wanted it to be. But diminishing the open world into a mere shell of what it is supposed to be is simply too immersion breaking for me to be able to ignore.

I don't know why more people aren't talking about this, because it is a huge problem in my eyes, but I've basically found no information about this anywhere. Who out there that is into RDR2 modding has noticed these issues? Is there any solution to this that anyone knows of? I really don't want to have to delete all my mods, but at this point, it looks like that's the only way I can get the full intended single player experience of the game without watering down the open world and sacrificing immersion.

Just download "Increased LOD"

• Like 1

I just tried deleting my entire LML folder, no trains. Then tried deleting "non-essential" scripts, (There's some script mods I simply refuse to play without like Smoking Complete and Bounties Expansion / Contracts) still no trains. Looks like i'm just going to have to accept the fact that I need to forget about trains spawning If i want to mod this game unless some major breakthrough happens. Big bummer

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/22/2024 at 2:55 PM, MNIDDM said:

Just download "Increased LOD"

That is not a solution at all. In fact I have tested that very mod extensively before and it actually exasperates the spawning issue because it forces the game to render more high-quality textures further away from the camera. Any LOD set higher than what the in-game settings allow will negatively affect the spawns.

• Like 2

hi guys, I know this thread is not for this problem but please forgive me, I have a problem where I get softlocked in sadie adler mission in the bounty an honest day labor, I read it is version.dll but I do not have version.dll only the dinput8.dll and that is it beside my lml mods and no asi mods, I thought it only happened due to version.dll.

Do I need to just remove everything or something is wrong on my end? as I saw a modded playthrough on youtube and he passed the mission with mods which is weird, kindly help me if you can

Thank you

1 hour ago, finesseq1023 said:

hi guys, I know this thread is not for this problem but please forgive me, I have a problem where I get softlocked in sadie adler mission in the bounty an honest day labor, I read it is version.dll but I do not have version.dll only the dinput8.dll and that is it beside my lml mods and no asi mods, I thought it only happened due to version.dll.

Do I need to just remove everything or something is wrong on my end? as I saw a modded playthrough on youtube and he passed the mission with mods which is weird, kindly help me if you can

Thank you

Can't help you with that as I've not experienced that issue myself. You'll need to isolate the conflicting mod(s) by doing a process of elimination. Also, as you said, your issue is not relevant to the topic of this thread. There are other threads that would be more suited to your problem, or you could always just create your own thread. I'd like to keep this discussion on-topic specifically regarding the spawning issues and not start opening up the conversation to general modding problems. Thanks.

Edited by Dagger323