How much can the Stream folder handle? (super slow texture loading)

Lately I've been having really bad issues with texture loading in my game. Every time I turn my head, textures will be super super muddy and smaller objects wont even load in for a solid couple seconds, and tons of vegetation pop in. I'm not having any bad performance issues, the fps is normal and the game's not stuttering, but the textures are loading abnormally slowly. This problems started only recently after installing a bunch more texture files into the stream folder, textures that replace horse coats(alot), upscaled gang textures, clothing edits, plus I already have whyems dlc installed which has its own stream folder as well, idk if thats adding to it.

But I went and looked at the size of the stream folder and it's at 2.1gb.

I've been playing other games since it started happening, so I'll have to do more troubleshooting eventually but I just wanted to see if anyone else was having this issue as well.

If you're having this issue what is the size of your stream folder? and also is there anyone with really large stream folders similar to mine (like 1.5gb+) who aren't having this issue as well? 

thanks

Edited by selfmade808

• selfmade808 changed the title to How much can the Stream folder handle? (super slow texture loading)

Generally speaking the size of the stream folder itself does not matter. However, as you have noticed yourself, having many large textures can cause texture loss. This is a common problem in other RAGE games such as GTA V and as far as I know not totally understood and solved. The main solution is to use fewer and/or smaller textures (meaning lower resolutions) to better match those that shipped with the game.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LMS said:

Generally speaking the size of the stream folder itself does not matter. However, as you have noticed yourself, having many large textures can cause texture loss. This is a common problem in other RAGE games such as GTA V and as far as I know not totally understood and solved. The main solution is to use fewer and/or smaller textures (meaning lower resolutions) to better match those that shipped with the game.

Ahh ok that makes sense, thank you for the helpful info 🙂

12 hours ago, innxcence said:

I had this issue. simply removing all textures fixed this for me. but like LMS said, its due to bigger res textures. I learned that the hard way heh. 

Ay I actually just saw your post about the same issue on another mod this morning, you're the only one I've seen post about the issue, glad I know where its coming from now!

Also cool mod u uploaded, been wanting custom hitmarkers for a minute. I'm gonna try it out whenever I get back to playing 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, selfmade808 said:

Ay I actually just saw your post about the same issue on another mod this morning, you're the only one I've seen post about the issue, glad I know where its coming from now!

Also cool mod u uploaded, been wanting custom hitmarkers for a minute. I'm gonna try it out whenever I get back to playing 👍

Hey yeah thanks 😄 yeah ive pretty much scrapped the stream folder with texture mods sadly. 

• 2 years later...