Extended Death/Busted Screen Mod

enterthemeng

Does anyone know if it is yet possible to mod the grayscale slow motion screen that plays when you die or get arrested? It would be nice to be able to play around with it to either extend it, remove the slow mo effect, or remove the grayscale coloring. 

If you have some experience with C++ and reverse engineering, I'd suggest you look at the screen effect native and trace that back to the internal function. Set a breakpoint, die in the game and it should hit the function to apply the filter. That way you can probably find the "death effect" code and change the effect or remove it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
//iLocal_23084 = player_id
PLAYER::_0x1D77B47AFA584E90(iLocal_23084, -1, 1); // RESTORE_SPECIAL_ABILITY
//1 of these natives calls the orange screen effect; another calls the slow motion but i just not 100% haven't played with them much
PLAYER::_0x3ACAC8832E77BC93(iLocal_23084, 1); // i think the second parameter are bools
PLAYER::_0x570A13A4CA2799BB(iLocal_23084, 1); // i think the second parameter are bools
PLAYER::_0xBBA140062B15A8AC(iLocal_23084);

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think what I’m really after here is to be able to let the whole animation play out when your player gets arrested. I think it’s kind of a shame that they cut to black so quickly that the animation doesn’t get to play out the whole way, especially since that’s the only place the animation ever gets played. Does anyone know how much effort it would take to implement what was suggested so far? If it would be difficult anyone know of any simpler way?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/20/2020 at 7:06 AM, LMS said:

If you have some experience with C++ and reverse engineering, I'd suggest you look at the screen effect native and trace that back to the internal function. Set a breakpoint, die in the game and it should hit the function to apply the filter. That way you can probably find the "death effect" code and change the effect or remove it.

Hi @LMS, I'd like to be able to look into implementing this mod. I have no idea of where to begin though. I have some knowledge of how to code, but not much in C++. I'd like you had suggested but I do not know how to go about setting up the development environment to do so let alone set up a listener that allows me to step through the source code as you're suggesting. I was wondering if you would be willing to give me a few pointers on how to start out.

If you have little C++ experience and no reverse engineering experience this will be a tough one. I would recommend familiarizing yourself with tools such IDA (or Ghidra), x64dbg and Cheat Engine. Also look into how natives work in RAGE. Then you can follow the native I mentioned above in game code and see where the actual screen effect code is located. Then work from there.