Dead body persistence

SAC

Any way to improve dead body persistence? I get bodies vanish (NPCs get recycled?) as I turn the corner in Saint Denis.

I am aware of Enhanced Entity and World Persistence 1.4 at Red Dead Redemption 2 Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com) I have it (have not modified the ini), not sure if it's helping, but I want better persistence than that.

My Fallout 4 and Skyrim mods: SAC - LoversLab

1 hour ago, LMS said:

Playing around with gameconfig pool values might lessen the effect, though that is only a hunch.

Where is this gameconfig? I cannot find it with OpenIV. Someone else mentioned this file but I am unable to locate it

image.thumb.png.0fc6af7f86708d52943469b25046de7a.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 1:06 PM, Afriendo said:

Maybe try messing with "persistence_Constants.meta" or "persistence_model_aging.meta" in openiv/rdr2/common_0.rpf/data ?

Thank you, persistence_Constance.meta looks interesting, I'll have to test

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Afriendo said:

No problem, let me know if it works.

away from computer for another few days, but changing the dead body-related parameters in that file definitely increases persistence. There are some glitches (like a bunch of dead bodies teleporting to the player when activating mods like cinematic camera….)

it needs tuning as to not overcrowd with dead bodies, but it definitely works. Thanks!

3 hours ago, SAC said:

away from computer for another few days, but changing the dead body-related parameters in that file definitely increases persistence. There are some glitches (like a bunch of dead bodies teleporting to the player when activating mods like cinematic camera….)

it needs tuning as to not overcrowd with dead bodies, but it definitely works. Thanks!

Do you plan on releasing it as a mod? if so, please include an ini for tweaking the parameters. :)

Edited by Afriendo

1 hour ago, Afriendo said:

Do you plan on releasing it as a mod? if so, please include an ini for tweaking the parameters. 🙂

I can make a mod loader for it and explain what I’ve tweaked so the user can further adjust them. No need for a script mod with an ini, the file can be updated directly. I’ll get back on this next week when I return home

• Like 2

Here you go, unpack it into the lml folder like any other mod.

The lines I have edited are marked with <!-- SAC ... -->; the comments contain the vanilla values.

Results can be unpredictable, tweak the meta file as you test and post back here values you feel you are happy with

SAC Dead Body Persistence.rar

• Like 2

quick update. I play tested with the values you provided in the meta file. Then I tried a "stress test" and tweaked most of values up to the "99999" range lol. I noticed that regardless of how i tweaked the file (even with the values set to extremes) that Certain entities would have persistence added to them and others would not. Just as you mentioned, the results can be unpredictable. I think regardless of the settings in the meta file, the game can't exceed the "ped limit" which is set to 150 or 155 i think. If you are able to increase the "ped limit" pool, it may result in better (more consistent) persistance.

A few other observations to note: ped corpses, and other entities from chance encounters generally won't keep persistent. Most cut scenes seem to despawn any persistent entities in the game world. corpses won't "decompose" over time (Although I doubt that the settings in the "persistence_constants" file have anything to do with peds decomposing).

I also tried the "Enhanced entity and world persistence" mod combined with the META file you sent me, but the results can still be very unpredictable.

in short: increasing these setting does in fact work. It's just unpredictable what will remain persistent and what will despawn.

Thank you for sending me these files to test! I hope some of these findings prove helpful. I'll continue to test the values further and let you know of any findings. would you be able to send me a LML loader that contains this "Ped limit" pool? 

Edited by Afriendo

these are some of the lines within the gameconfig that look interesting

<MaxDeadPedsAroundPlayerInSP value="20"/>
                      <MaxDeadPedsAroundPlayerInMP value="12"/>
                      <MaxGlobalDeadPedsInSP value="30"/>
                      <MaxGlobalDeadPedsInMP value="30"/>

4 minutes ago, Afriendo said:

RDR2/update_1.rpf/common/data is where the gameconfig.xml is. That's the file we need. if you could send me a loader of that

problem is, my computer is currently unavailable due to a bricked cooler pump after a failed firmware update. I am pondering whether to just buy a new one or keep waiting for Corsair to reply to my ticket. When I manage to get it running I’ll provide you a loader for gameconfig

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HughJanus said:

Kudos to both of you for sharing your progress here!

Hopefully youll put out a mod when you have found the perfect settings. Looking forward to it! 🙂

Thanks. My computer is still sidelined, hope to have it running again Monday the latest, unless I managed to screw up the CPU too, due to overheating. Accumulated quite a backlog of stuff that I need to do, though, being away on vacation and then with the computer broken

1 hour ago, Afriendo said:

Hugh janus sent me a loader for the gameconfig.xml. I'll continue testing the persistence_constance.meta file  along with modifying the gameconfig.xml Sunday when I return home, and let you know how it goes. @SAC

Nice 

you should be aware that the nexus “advanced persistence 1.4” (I think it’s called) mod is tweaking the gameconfig parameters too (but not persistence_constants.meta). So don’t use them both (your gameconfig, and the mod)

Looking forward to that aswell, the advanced persistence from nexusmomd is somewhat.. very unpredictable, it keeps track of everything apparently but not everything is sadly kept. Corpses sillt despawn after passing a certain radius or leaving the area, blood stains do despawn aswell although this mod seems to make them last longer https://www.nexusmods.com/reddeadredemption2/mods/1154 but increase the blood pools in a very unrealistic way.

that would be nice to just work on a mod from scratch that increase drastically the persistence of entities, objects, blood, etc in the world. everything despawn so quickly

maybe unlocking the decaying system  of corpses, i know it's a feature ingame and can be achived if you wait enough like seen in this video.  I think the 2 last stages ( dried bodies and skeletons) are locked behind events such as if it's raining or if the corpse is within water. i'm not too sure. that would be cool to find any files related to those to maybe work on something more consistent with the decaying system and not dependent ( if it is ) to the weather. That way we can have a more dynamic way of getting read of entities tracked and the world would clean itself that way instead of just despawing everything

Also the lawmens do get the corpses on their horses sometimes so it's a way R* added to get rid of the entities in a more fashion way. Though if we follow them, they're just endlessly roaming the map with no real purposes 

Edited by Maro
  • Like 1

@MaroI agree. This would be a very immersive way for the game to clean up entities in the world rather than just despawning them. I'm shooting for the stars here, but the end goal would be that #1.corpses would only decompose or be carted away by other npcs just like you posted above. #2. Have some sort of ini file or setting for the user to adjust a maximum limit of corpses (and other objects) and the distance they stay persistent, so that users with both high end, or lower end hardware could adjust it to their liking.

(Testing Update) @SAC

The problem I'm running into while testing this stuff out is that some objects want to persist and other just don't. I think there is some sort of "pool" (or more than one) that keeps cleaning up certain entities. I have a feeling it may take more than the 2 files I've been adjusting. However, I have been reading through a lot of files on OpenIV and have found a lot of interesting things (such as finding timers for random events among other thing). I still think there's a way to get the persistence we're looking for, it just may take more digging and more work.

Also, I'm self taught and DIY with this stuff. so I'm figuring a lot of this out as i go. There are a lot of files I'd like to get into to tamper with here, but I don't know how to make loaders with LML to do that. (big thanks for making those loaders for me!) . also considering I have to load the game up every time I adjusted values, the testing can take a while haha! I'm having a blast doing it tho! I'll continue to tamper with the values in "Gameconfig.xml" and "persistence_constants meta" and report back my findings.

If anyone is willing to make more LML loaders for me, it would allow me to do further research and tests on persistence, and other interesting things I keep coming across.