The new RDR2Mods.com design

Cyan

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the new RDR2Mods.com design.

We've been working for a while on our new design, as well as a whole host of behind-the-scenes changes and upgrades. I'm excited to tell you about them.

First I should mention, the new RDR2Mods.com design is now dark by default. This probably isn't the preference of everybody, and if you prefer a lighter design, just click the light-bulb at the top of the website to switch between light and dark mode at any time. We work on and maintain both, so apart from the light/dark switch, you shouldn't see any non-colour differences between both modes.

We've listened to a lot of feedback about discovering files and navigating the site, and we've made some important changes around finding and discovering content.

1. You might notice at the very top of the site you can now very quickly get to each category of game mod. This probably isn't too useful for a lot of you that already know the way around the site, but features as a really quick way of finding the mods that you want if you've just landed on the site and are finding it a little tricky to navigate.
  2. We've also added the download button for modifications right to the top of the page, so it's far more obvious how to download content.
  3. Some issues with our search has been fixed, although we are still working on improving this further.
  4. A new 'Trending' system has been introduced, this comes from our brother site LCPDFR.com. The idea of our Trending system is to highlight new and updated files that are getting traction. We still need to make some adjustments to this, and it's still in the early stages, but we're hoping this will further highlight new content.
  5. Getting file updates is no longer a long drawn out process; just hit 'Send me version updates' and you'll get sent a notification whenever the file is updated.
  6. When you download a file, the files are grouped by 'Main files', 'Old version', 'Extra'. Old versions are at the very bottom of the list.
    Creators can also add a short description saying what each individual file does.
  7. Creators can now add a bug report link to their files, that will cause a 'Report a bug' button below the 'Download this file' button to show.

To enhance the peace of mind for visitors downloading files, we're also running a more detailed suite of security checks against files. You'll be able to see the result of VirusTotal virus scans right on the RDR2Mods.com file page for a modification.

Please note that for some script modifications, the chances of a false positive are quite high. We'll hide these false positives when they are obvious to us. We haven't yet started on this, but, Creators, if you think your file is incorrectly labelled, please let us know and we can give it a check.

For creators, updating your file no longer causes it to become hidden, even if it needs approval. Instead, the changes are queued for approval and your old file is live until the changes are approved. Files should not require approval as much due to our automated scanning system.

As well as our work, we also inherit a lot of changes and fixes from the base software we use on the site, Invision Community. You should see a faster and more bug-free experience from the core of the site.

However, this won't be an entirely bug-free and seamless experience. Although we've tried our best to make sure this rollout is as bug-free as possible, it would be only normal for some to appear.

Please expand the spoiler for some known bugs. Feel free to reply to this topic or leave a comment on Discord in the website channel if you want to report something we may have missed.

Spoiler
  • You cannot add a description to a file whilst submitting a new file. However, you can when you edit it later through the 'Upload a new version' process. We're working on resolving this asap. --- Fixed!
  • Some file descriptions have backgrounds that look bad on either our dark or light themes. We're working on improving this.
  • Some scripts have an anomaly detection notice from our new AV scanning. We will look into hiding this for false positives. --- Fixed!
  • Some pages may have broken backgrounds or text that is unreadable. Please feel free to report these. --- Fixed!
  • Using 'Upload a new version' and only changing images or the changelog may cause the change to be queued for approval incorrectly. We're working on it. --- Fixed!

A more complete changelog is viewable in the spoiler below.

Spoiler
  • A new fresh design, ‘RDR2Mods Retina’ designed from the ground up for the latest version of our community suite.
  • Added ‘Enhanced Blocking’ – a new opt-in system designed to give creators additional control of their content. Our enhanced blocking system will prevent ignored users from being able to comment/review gallery images and files. This feature can be enabled in the ‘Ignored Users’ page.
  • Fixed an issue with our moderation tools delaying initial session creation for everyone (TTFB)
  • Added ability to turn off comments on a file at the time of upload. Files with comments turned off will be penalised.
  • Added extra features to our ‘Trending’ and ‘Featured’ pages, including better filtering, and relevant data. Moderators can also now see at a glance when a file was featured, and by who.
  • Added notifications for creators when files are approved.
  • Added ability to rename files during the upload and new version upload process.
  • Added a dialog view to ‘Inside the File’.
  • Files from ignored users are no longer shown in the grouping view by default; this can be toggled in the ‘Filter by’ menu.
  • Added additional optimisations throughout our custom system
  • Added new files to detection of OpenIV-compatible content
  • Fixed issue with download menu resizing in weird ways via JS (we now use flexboxes)
  • Made improvements to the downloads carousel.
  • Added a new flow for pending versions (this comes from IPS 4.5, however, we have integrated our security check process and file approval flow into it).
  • Added ability for author to cancel pending changes to a file
  • Added ability to add Patreon button to files
  • Added extra tooling for staff
  • Fixed an issue with sorting featured files
  • Creators can now add a bug report link to their files, that will cause a 'Report a bug' button below the 'Download this file' button to show.
  • Descriptions for individual files.

Please let us know if you have any questions, bugs to report, general feedback or anything else.

Best,

Cyan

Edited by Cyan
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Totally awesome, modern feeling and much cleaner. Virus scanning is a good thing as people could put viruses in the mods. Some elements of the ui that were unnecessary huge like the picture of the avatar on a comment is now more smaller which makes the ui clean.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, JammyDodger said:

I think the new design looks horrible. Try typing something in the search field...you can't actually see what you are typing. Who does this? LOL. 

Thanks for your bug report! I'm sorry about your thoughts on the design otherwise, you can't please everyone! 😄

I noticed that the code-tags make the code almost unreadable in dark mode.

What I also would like to mention is, that some files seem to have been deleted:

I did not delete them, but they seem to be unavailable. Is there something I (as the post-creator) can do?

8 hours ago, HughJanus said:

I noticed that the code-tags make the code almost unreadable in dark mode.

What I also would like to mention is, that some files seem to have been deleted:

I did not delete them, but they seem to be unavailable. Is there something I (as the post-creator) can do?

Just about to fix the code tags, thanks for letting us know! I saw this at the start of our re-design but I forgot to make the needed changes.

Did you upload the attachments directly to the edit box when you uploaded them or did you select them from previously uploaded attachments? I'm wondering if the issue is a permissions problem.

3 hours ago, Cyan said:

Just about to fix the code tags, thanks for letting us know! I saw this at the start of our re-design but I forgot to make the needed changes.

Did you upload the attachments directly to the edit box when you uploaded them or did you select them from previously uploaded attachments? I'm wondering if the issue is a permissions problem.

I always drag&drop the attachments directly into the editing box.

Here is a new beta I just uploaded: https://www.rdr2mods.com/downloads/rdr2/scripts/42-ped-damage-overhaul/?do=findComment&comment=4183

Maybe you can compare the two?

22 minutes ago, HughJanus said:

I always drag&drop the attachments directly into the editing box.

Here is a new beta I just uploaded: https://www.rdr2mods.com/downloads/rdr2/scripts/42-ped-damage-overhaul/?do=findComment&comment=4183

Maybe you can compare the two?

Great thanks! I'll check what's going on.

The code highlighting colours should now be fixed on the dark theme!

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 3:54 PM, JammyDodger said:

Try typing something in the search field...you can't actually see what you are typing.

I like it, but yeah that was a thing I noticed at first too.
it's a fresh improvement to what I first saw. just came here the day before the change happened, didn't have an account yet.
the implementation of dark mode is a nice touch. as to the rest I can't really attest to it, never was in the comments before.
I feel semi torn on typing on a red text box but that's just a preference, I can get used to this.
however I do think the icons could use a little brushing up, something more than just straight negatives of the original images.
image.png.6fc8482865b8d3f827fc168498d050a5.png

all the same, thank you, it looks pretty nice.
happy holidays

Edited by skjol.
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 11:08 AM, skjol. said:

I like it, but yeah that was a thing I noticed at first too.
it's a fresh improvement to what I first saw. just came here the day before the change happened, didn't have an account yet.
the implementation of dark mode is a nice touch. as to the rest I can't really attest to it, never was in the comments before.
I feel semi torn on typing on a red text box but that's just a preference, I can get used to this.
however I do think the icons could use a little brushing up, something more than just straight negatives of the original images.
image.png.6fc8482865b8d3f827fc168498d050a5.png

all the same, thank you, it looks pretty nice.
happy holidays

Great, thanks for your feedback!

I've changed the icons to be a bit more readable on the dark theme, but we should probably have a bit of a re-design of these properly for the dark theme.

Happy holidays to you too!

• 4 weeks later...

We've made some changes today so that uploads should be much faster. Uploads now go through our dedicated file servers instead of being uploaded as part of our normal website traffic.

Additionally, a long standing issue where you could not set descriptions on individually uploaded files during the initial upload process has been fixed.