[Unofficial] Troubleshooting Guide For Non-Working Mods

WesternGamer

Yes and just the rockstar launcher starts up, then the black screen with RS logo and then after that

finishes it closes and then nothing.

My Utube Channels

Gunter Severloh (Arma 3)

Gunter Severloh RDR2

RDR2 Mod - Bandit Hideouts Mod - This mod adds 130 bandit hideouts, 40 ambush locations to RDR2, and More!

RDR2 Mod - Hired Guns Mod - Hire gunmen at saloons to travel, and protect you from predators and bandits!

I have some news ...

After taking a break from this file, mod nonsense for a day which needs to be better established so

everyone doesn't have to wait for 1 guy to update a file that all mods depend on 🙄

The game is working for me for all my asi mods! 🤠

However! ....

I got it to work this way, im NOT using the latest game version, i got this new idea after reading a post

by a guy that has 2,600+hrs in RDR2 and is a 70yr old gamer 😉

So he showed a screenshot of his directory with no mods, prior to the two major updates we had

basically going back to April when stuff was working fine. So he says this ...

i'll link a screenshot of my vanilla directory from game  v1436.31

https://i.imgur.com/u7EiPhv.png

he says delete anything that isn't vanilla this is using his screenshot as a reference,

which is what i did hence my directory screenshot before i added mods.

What he didn't say was that his game is still the 1436.31 version, how i figured it out was in his

screenshot he had the details (dates) for each file, and there were the following files that were not from the

recent update which has a different date.

• appdata0_update.rpf
  • PlayRDR2.exe
  • RDR2.exe
  • shaders_x64.rpf
  • update_1.rpf
  • update_2.rpf
  • update_3.rpf
  • update_4.rpf

So these files in his screenshot  were all april 27th of this year, so seeing that i got this idea, the idea was to

revert the game back to that version, and i did it before.

So what im going to show you guys if you dont know already is how to revert your game if you want to.

Im going to reply again with a fresh post so this isn't a mile long so see below:

My Utube Channels

Gunter Severloh (Arma 3)

Gunter Severloh RDR2

RDR2 Mod - Bandit Hideouts Mod - This mod adds 130 bandit hideouts, 40 ambush locations to RDR2, and More!

RDR2 Mod - Hired Guns Mod - Hire gunmen at saloons to travel, and protect you from predators and bandits!

Revert your game to previous RDR2 version

A working fix to play RDR2 with mods again
Heres a  fix for you guys that will enable you to roll back to the
previous version of RDR2, allowing you to use scripthook and mods.

Original poster with this idea btw:
GTA forums scripthook RDR2
https://gtaforums.com/topic/939232-scripthookrdr2/?do=findComment&comment=1071845960

Tutorial

1) Copy and paste the following URL into your browser:     steam://nav/console

Allow it to launch Steam, this will open the Steam console window.

2) In the text box at the bottom of the Steam Console window, paste the following:
     download_depot 1174180 1174184 5805888981794472260

3) A few messages will appear in the console window--this will take potentially several minutes.
 Wait until you see the message  "Depot download complete :"

4) Once the depot download finishes, navigate to the following directory on your PC:
        C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\content\app_1174180\depot_1174184

For those of you who may have installed Steam on a different drive or location,
find the root of your Steam installation and continue through the directories from there.

5) Copy all of the content from the above directory and paste it into the root

RDR2 installation folder allow it to overwrite anything it asks.

6) Launch RDR2 from the RDR2.exe executable in the installation folder.

============

Once it was done, i just went to my directory here
H:\Steam\SteamApps\content\app_1174180\depot_1174184
and in that depot_1174184 folder are 8 files, they are the following:

• appdata0_update.rpf
  • PlayRDR2.exe
  • RDR2.exe
  • shaders_x64.rpf
  • update_1.rpf
  • update_2.rpf
  • update_3.rpf
  • update_4.rpf

Copy or move these to your RDR2 Directory seen here for me:
G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Red Dead Redemption 2
your computer will ask you to replace or skip, just replace and it will replace the files.

After from the directory itself start the game from the RDR2.exe
from there the rockstar game launcher will come up, login if you have to,

and start RDR2, it will load like normal and you will be back ingame.

===========

Backup

So just remember to clean your directory first use my screenshot as a reference if need be.

Install the scripthook for this version which is here http://www.dev-c.com/rdr2/scripthookrdr2/

Once your all set and you got the game running, and have added mods, COPY the directory

and BACK IT UP!

Up to you, on this version of the game i was running 30+ mods and having a blast,

and had 60+ fps performance

all my videos on my RDR2 Utube channel are from this version.

==============

Hope that helps anyone who wants to get their game back or needs some insight,

this is just one way. Cheers!

Edited by Gunter Severloh
Reworded, and adjusted some things

My Utube Channels

Gunter Severloh (Arma 3)

Gunter Severloh RDR2

2 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Ok i created a readme for this with links, so im pasting the readme i created below:

Revert your game to previous RDR2 version

A working fix to play RDR2 with mods again
Heres a  fix for you guys that will enable you to roll back to the
previous version of RDR2, allowing you to use scripthook and mods.

Original poster with this idea btw:
GTA forums scripthook RDR2
https://gtaforums.com/topic/939232-scripthookrdr2/?do=findComment&comment=1071845960

I have a  fix for you guys that will enable you to roll back to the previous version of RDR2,
 thus allowing you to use script hook and mods.

========================================================

1) Copy and paste the following URL into your browser:     steam://nav/console

2) Allow it to launch Steam. This will open the Steam console window.

3) In the text box at the bottom of the Steam Console window, paste the following:
     download_depot 1174180 1174184 5805888981794472260

4) A few messages will appear in the console window--this will take potentially several minutes.
 Wait until you see the message  "Depot download complete :"

5) Once the depot download finishes, navigate to the following directory on your PC:
         C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\content\app_1174180\depot_1174184

a) For those of you who may have installed Steam on a different drive or location,
find the root of your Steam installation and continue through the directories from there.

6) Copy all of the content from the above directory and paste it into the root of your

RDR2 installation folder allow it to overwrite anything it asks.

7) Launch RDR2 from the RDR2.exe executable in the installation folder.

===============================

Once it was done, i just went to my directory here
H:\Steam\SteamApps\content\app_1174180\depot_1174184
and in that depot_1174184 folder are 8 files, they are the following:

• appdata0_update.rpf
  • PlayRDR2.exe
  • RDR2.exe
  • shaders_x64.rpf
  • update_1.rpf
  • update_2.rpf
  • update_3.rpf
  • update_4.rpf

Copy or move these to your RDR2 Directory seen here for me:
G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Red Dead Redemption 2
your computer will ask you to replace or skip, just replace and it will replace the files.

After from the directory itself start the game from the RDR2.exe
from there the rockstar game launcher will come up, login if you have to, and start RDR2,

it will load like normal and you will be back ingame.

====================

So just remember to clean your directory first use my screenshot as a reference if need be.

Install the scripthook for this version which is here http://www.dev-c.com/rdr2/scripthookrdr2/

Once your all set and you got the game running, and have added mods, COPY the directory

and BACK IT UP!

Up to you, on this version of the game i was running 30+ mods and having a blast, and had 60+ fps performance

all my videos on my RDR2 Utube channel are from this version.

==============

Lastly im still testing with what i did, so far all my asi mods are working, and need to test the lml mods yet.

Hope that helps anyone who wants to get their game back or needs some insight, this is just one way. Cheers!

@Gunter Severloh Glad to see that you resolved your own issue and provided a solution! May add this as an option to my post. Seeing that you had to downgrade, you probably have a mod(s) that doesn't work with the latest version of the game.

Thanks! But not resolved yet, only things working so far from this revert is all my asi mods,

and the latest version of reshade.

As for lml (lenny's mod loader) the game crashes with it, of course i had all my mods for

lml loaded, so i tried just one and it crashed.  I am using the latest lml version however when i was

previously playing prior to the update i had lml_rdr_beta_9  i might try that but idk if it will work.

Any suggestions for lml?

My Utube Channels

Gunter Severloh (Arma 3)

Gunter Severloh RDR2

3 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Thanks! But not resolved yet, only things working so far from this revert is all my asi mods,

and the latest version of reshade.

As for lml (lenny's mod loader) the game crashes with it, of course i had all my mods for

lml loaded, so i tried just one and it crashed.  I am using the latest lml version however when i was

previously playing prior to the update i had lml_rdr_beta_9  i might try that but idk if it will work.

Any suggestions for lml?

@Gunter Severloh Try beta 10, and if that doesn't work, then try beta 9.

Its been about a week since my last reply, hadn't had a chance to test anything because of work

and other things real life. Having sat and sun off from work helps, so i spent the morning here

and i had uninstalled the latest lml version i was testing before.

And reinstalled the lml_rdr_beta_9 version which is actually the version i was previously using

and at first i just installed one mod, got ingame and it worked, so i had a hunch so i figured i'd restore

the entire number of mods i had backed up.

And the word is ........................................ it works!

So all my mods are working again all asi and lml mods, and to note again this is on a reverted

version of the game.

• Like 1

My Utube Channels

Gunter Severloh (Arma 3)

Gunter Severloh RDR2

8 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Its been about a week since my last reply, hadn't had a chance to test anything because of work

and other things real life. Having sat and sun off from work helps, so i spent the morning here

and i had uninstalled the latest lml version i was testing before.

And reinstalled the lml_rdr_beta_9 version which is actually the version i was previously using

and at first i just installed one mod, got ingame and it worked, so i had a hunch so i figured i'd restore

the entire number of mods i had backed up.

And the word is ........................................ it works!

So all my mods are working again all asi and lml mods, and to note again this is on a reverted

version of the game.

@Gunter Severloh Glad to see that installing a old version fixed it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Bump 

Currently am facing similiar issues to those in this thread.. and I just wanna say I have never seen a more dedicated man, thank you kind stranger. 

I tried looking through all the posts - took me a good 30 minutes or so and i applied alot of the knowledge i had learned but to no avail i am so fucking lost .. i have alot of mods installed, but i went ahead and downloaded the recommended versions of dinput and scripthook, plus LML. i thought i had all my troubles fixed but now it says "error ffff" maybe i have to do a clean install of the game with the ASI mods once again? 

I really wouldnt mind if i had to do that nontheless. I can post whatever need be but i think at this point you wizards can guess my problem lol. 

Thank you guys - 

23 hours ago, reddeaddiamondsrererededas said:

Bump 

Currently am facing similiar issues to those in this thread.. and I just wanna say I have never seen a more dedicated man, thank you kind stranger. 

I tried looking through all the posts - took me a good 30 minutes or so and i applied alot of the knowledge i had learned but to no avail i am so fucking lost .. i have alot of mods installed, but i went ahead and downloaded the recommended versions of dinput and scripthook, plus LML. i thought i had all my troubles fixed but now it says "error ffff" maybe i have to do a clean install of the game with the ASI mods once again? 

I really wouldnt mind if i had to do that nontheless. I can post whatever need be but i think at this point you wizards can guess my problem lol. 

Thank you guys - 

@reddeaddiamondsrererededas If you installed VESTIGIA or Whyems DLC, switch the renderer to vulkan in the config file if not done already. For VESTIGIA, there is a version for people that get the FFFFFF error.

27 minutes ago, WesternGamer said:

@reddeaddiamondsrererededas If you installed VESTIGIA or Whyems DLC, switch the renderer to vulkan in the config file if not done already. For VESTIGIA, there is a version for people that get the FFFFFF error.

unfortunately with whyems turned off and vestigia not installed - i cant load, or start a new game. and im scared to fail long missions because the game would crash sometimes in the "retry" or "restart mission" death screen. 

it sucks but i deal with it. if im guessing accurately i have like 40 or 50 mods installed lol 

Edited by reddeaddiamondsrererededas

8 hours ago, reddeaddiamondsrererededas said:

unfortunately with whyems turned off and vestigia not installed - i cant load, or start a new game. and im scared to fail long missions because the game would crash sometimes in the "retry" or "restart mission" death screen. 

it sucks but i deal with it. if im guessing accurately i have like 40 or 50 mods installed lol 

@reddeaddiamondsrererededasYou may reinstall them if you want to.

23 hours ago, WesternGamer said:

@reddeaddiamondsrererededasYou may reinstall them if you want to.

but i get the "fff" error, im not sure what mods are compatible with just eachother. i would love to run really only a few mods if it means having a perfectly stable game. 

PDO, anatom dmg, 1899 firearms, bloodlust, gun fx, "dragnpc" and tieyourlasso 

but im not sure how to check compatibility 

after openiv update, when i export ped models in xml and trying to load them from lml stream folder it doesnt work, but models what i exported before update work just fine. anyone know solution how to fix this?

9 hours ago, gamerr said:

after openiv update, when i export ped models in xml and trying to load them from lml stream folder it doesnt work, but models what i exported before update work just fine. anyone know solution how to fix this?

@gamerr You are not able to edit models with openiv at this time.

• 3 weeks later...

Depends, what have you tried? i have my game on pc steam so it works np for me, but

the file directory should be the same regardless.

My Utube Channels

Gunter Severloh (Arma 3)

Gunter Severloh RDR2

Seeing that there is a new update to the game, and nothing but the Online part being updated,

this is sad news for those like myself whom play Singleplayer (Story mode) with mods.

I have a solution for you:

This is for those whom play in Singleplayer (Story mode) with mods.
This will work i just did this and all my mods i use (about 38) plus reshade work np.

IF YOU HAVEN'T UPDATED
1. If you haven't updated yet then this should work for you.
Locate the following files here:
       C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Red Dead Redemption 2

• appdata0_update.rpf
  • PlayRDR2.exe
  • RDR2.exe
  • shaders_x64.rpf
  • update_1.rpf
  • update_2.rpf
  • update_3.rpf
  • update_4.rpf

BACKUP
2. Back these files up, basically make a copy of them, then apply the update,
once the update is complete, try to restart RDR2 if it dont start with your mods loaded,
or acts like its starting but doesn't or your mods aren't working, then go back to the
directory, and delete those files listed above, then replace them with your
backup!

IF YOU UPDATED
If you have updated the game already prior to my post here, and have not backed up
the files listed above in #1 then do this, revert your game:

Revert your game to a previous version

If you have updated and the game crashes or the mods dont work
then follow my tutorial and revert your game seen here
https://www.rdr2mods.com/forums/topic/1309-unofficial-troubleshooting-guide-for-non-working-mods/page/5/#comment-5806

Once you have reverted your game and its working with mods, then back up those
files in step 1, then any time theres an update to the game, you can just replace
the new updated files with your backed up files.

============

Another option is to remove scripthook and use the alternative scripthook.

My Utube Channels

Gunter Severloh (Arma 3)

Gunter Severloh RDR2

• 1 month later...

Tried everything. Please Help.The vfs.asi of LML is crashing my whenever i load into the game. When i try to move my game crashes and takes me back to the desktop. Checking the vfs log shows this:

2023-03-18 21:07:44 INFO  d:\gtav\vfs\vfs\vfs\loadermain.cpp:112: Log initialized
2023-03-18 21:07:44 INFO  d:\gtav\vfs\vfs\vfs\loadermain.cpp:113: Lenny's Mod Loader Beta Test Version 0.5.7852.27033 - Compiled on Jul  5 2021 22:42:21
2023-03-18 21:07:44 INFO  d:\gtav\vfs\vfs\vfs\loadermain.cpp:118: Running RDR2
2023-03-18 21:07:44 INFO  d:\gtav\vfs\vfs\vfs\loadermain.cpp:93: Game File Version: 1.0.1436.28
2023-03-18 21:07:44 INFO  d:\gtav\vfs\vfs\vfs\hooking\hooking.cpp:40: Found hooking memory at 1473d0000
2023-03-18 21:07:44 INFO  d:\gtav\vfs\vfs\vfs\loadermain.cpp:128: Init done
2023-03-18 21:07:49 INFO  d:\gtav\vfs\vfs\vfs\rdr3\loaderrdr3.cpp:36: HookFunction::RunAll(): done
2023-03-18 21:07:51 WARN  d:\gtav\vfs\vfs\vfs\rdr3\loaderrdr3.cpp:90: ModManager is still sending data

After this game crashes. I tried disabling my mods and everything. Deleted the vfs.asi and game doesnt crash for hours. Any fix? game ver. 1436.28

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2022 at 11:42 AM, WesternGamer said:

@Gunter Severloh I would recommend putting in one asi mod at a time and test.

Looks like im back to square one with this, with the latest version of the game which im now running,

i tried running my version the 1436.28 which i was running fine with 30+ mods but the game will launch

get past the shotgun intro, and then gives error 16 launcher.

Now if i run the game without scripthook, vfs.asi, and dinput8.dll the game loads up fine, and i even have

all my saves and profile and everything.  A few weeks ago April 4th my computer wouldn't boot, so i had to

reinstall windows 10 on a new SSD, thing is i had to reinstall the game, i restored my previous game files, but

then i go to launch the game and i get the error 16 and it wont go to the main menu.

I tried everything, to fix the launcher, so now that its "fixed" i got to resort to testing one mod at a time

to see what will actually work, and i do have the latest scripthook so i hope that makes a difference.

Anyone with any suggestions on lml, should i use the latest version? or stick with lml 9 as i was using before?

My Utube Channels

Gunter Severloh (Arma 3)

Gunter Severloh RDR2

On 4/23/2023 at 4:54 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

Looks like im back to square one with this, with the latest version of the game which im now running,

i tried running my version the 1436.28 which i was running fine with 30+ mods but the game will launch

get past the shotgun intro, and then gives error 16 launcher.

Now if i run the game without scripthook, vfs.asi, and dinput8.dll the game loads up fine, and i even have

all my saves and profile and everything.  A few weeks ago April 4th my computer wouldn't boot, so i had to

reinstall windows 10 on a new SSD, thing is i had to reinstall the game, i restored my previous game files, but

then i go to launch the game and i get the error 16 and it wont go to the main menu.

I tried everything, to fix the launcher, so now that its "fixed" i got to resort to testing one mod at a time

to see what will actually work, and i do have the latest scripthook so i hope that makes a difference.

Anyone with any suggestions on lml, should i use the latest version? or stick with lml 9 as i was using before?

@Gunter Severloh Stick to that version, as you are using an older version of the game. If you still have issues, try a newer version.

Thanks for your reply WesternGamer, but i got everything working.

Im running latest version of the game, latest scripthook, and latest LML, and running over 30 mods

with reshade and everything starts and runs fine, so no issues now anymore!

• Like 1

My Utube Channels

Gunter Severloh (Arma 3)

Gunter Severloh RDR2