New Animal Actions -- Proof of Director Mode?

weesnaw

Director Mode, or something else?

image.thumb.png.0696e200aec4eee1f9520a281eecc2a3.png

Playing as certain animals (deer and boar are the two I've found so far) let you perform misc animations I've never seen before with circle, drink at water sources with triangle and attack with the right trigger.

All animals now move with the same control scheme as horses; tapping X for different speeds and R1 to slow to a stop.

Is this something new with animals in general, or Lenny's trainer? Is it proof of a future director's mode?

It's interesting only herbivores have the new animations so far. Dogs, wolves, coyotes, foxes, big cats and so on are lacking them. Horses lost the ability to kick as well, cougars can't crouch anymore, etc.

All animals also behave like horses in the sense that they can't go into buildings, or even onto certain things like patios... Which imo is kind of annoying. There's no reason a cat should get stopped by an invisible wall when trying to walk onto the patio of a house, or why a dog can't go into a room. There are full invisible walls preventing you from going onto or into these places as animals... I wonder if that's something that can get fixed with mods? Not sure.

There's no reason this should be stopping me: https://i.gyazo.com/2e9ae996040962c93e7e96cd1f0f37e1.mp4

Edited by weesnaw

Interesting findings! I noticed that the internal animal control task had changed, resulting in the changes in control scheme you mentioned with the horse controls now working for animals. This is actually more a fix by Rockstar since they are now assigning the correct control scheme for animals when playing as such. Beforehand you had the normal on foot player control scheme which is why many more actions such as attacking or crouching were available. It also means birds lost the ability to fly. Luckily all of this can be fixed easily, but it remains interesting to see what R* has in store.

14 hours ago, LMS said:

Interesting findings! I noticed that the internal animal control task had changed, resulting in the changes in control scheme you mentioned with the horse controls now working for animals. This is actually more a fix by Rockstar since they are now assigning the correct control scheme for animals when playing as such. Beforehand you had the normal on foot player control scheme which is why many more actions such as attacking or crouching were available. It also means birds lost the ability to fly. Luckily all of this can be fixed easily, but it remains interesting to see what R* has in store.

That's so intriguing. I'm glad to hear that's something that can be fixed in the future! Honestly I'd really like to keep the new movement system or have some way to toggle between the "on-foot" behavior and the animal controls-- that way we can toggle the animal controls off for satchel use, flying, and entering buildings and be able to toggle back on the new movement system, but like you said, we'll see what they've got planned.

Possums can now play dead too-- I think both them and rabbits can drink? I wonder if they're going to be adding this new functionality to everything or just these four creatures. Super exciting stuff.

2 hours ago, weesnaw said:

That's so intriguing. I'm glad to hear that's something that can be fixed in the future! Honestly I'd really like to keep the new movement system or have some way to toggle between the "on-foot" behavior and the animal controls-- that way we can toggle the animal controls off for satchel use, flying, and entering buildings and be able to toggle back on the new movement system, but like you said, we'll see what they've got planned.

Possums can now play dead too-- I think both them and rabbits can drink? I wonder if they're going to be adding this new functionality to everything or just these four creatures. Super exciting stuff.

I'll see if I can push a trainer update this weekend to allow you to toggle the controls.

3 hours ago, LMS said:

I'll see if I can push a trainer update this weekend to allow you to toggle the controls.

I've been thinking on it; if you're able to get a working toggle, could it be something bound to one of the F-buttons (F1/F2/F3 etc, or something customizable in lst) instead of being something tucked into the Player menu? Being able to switch modes on the fly would probably be the most efficient if you need to be able to quickly flipflop between the more precise movement controls and being able to get in buildings/under obstacles/utilize the satchel and attacks and whatnot.

1 hour ago, weesnaw said:

I've been thinking on it; if you're able to get a working toggle, could it be something bound to one of the F-buttons (F1/F2/F3 etc, or something customizable in lst) instead of being something tucked into the Player menu? Being able to switch modes on the fly would probably be the most efficient if you need to be able to quickly flipflop between the more precise movement controls and being able to get in buildings/under obstacles/utilize the satchel and attacks and whatnot.

I've updated the trainer with the new animal control fix and added an ini option to specify a key 🙂 Let me know if it all works fine for you.

12 hours ago, LMS said:

I've updated the trainer with the new animal control fix and added an ini option to specify a key 🙂 Let me know if it all works fine for you.

The animal control fix and the binding are working great! There's still one thing that's weird about animals though, regardless of which control mode you're in you can't:

- Enter buildings

- Enter trains

- Walk into tents

- Enter certain alleyways in Saint Denis

- Walk up any set of stairs you can't take your horse up

- Walk under certain overhangs or under bridges

- Walk under any object as a small animal

- Enter gazebos in Saint Denis

None of these things used to be a problem before R* added the new movement; I think there's still something checking whether or not your model is Arthur or an animal despite having Arthur's controls. I haven't tested bird flight yet but I feel like there's going to be a lot of accidental crashes and death trying to fly under something only to hit an invis wall.

Hopefully this is something that can be looked into eventually-- I miss being able to stow away on a train when one passes by as I'm running around as a critter, and I miss being able to get into saloon bar fights as a wolf/cougar/bear/etc. Causing mayhem in Saint Denis isn't the same either now that I can't turn and run into the alleys. 😕

Edit: I'll add that the issue with MP animals being invisible unless the mp items were set to true has been fixed with the latest update! 🙂 

Edit 2:  After more testing it seems the invisible walls only happen with the MP animal variations, aka the new legendary coats. Is there something in the code differentiating them from the normal ones? This white panther can't enter the saloon, and trying to walk inside with Arthur + switch back pushes me through the floor (and world). However, the normal panther can walk up the stairs just fine.

https://i.gyazo.com/8f978f4287ba0850be719ef84f82773e.mp4

Edit 3: Whoa okay, more testing, discovered something funky. If you spawn in as an MP animal with old movement already enabled, you can go into buildings/up stairs fine. HOWEVER, if you switch to new and back to old, invisible walls pop up and will either force you out of the building through the floor or ceiling or won't allow you in again. This means it's pretty much impossible to seamlessly switch to new movement for roaming, old movement for attacking, and back to new movement if you want to enter buildings or do much of anything-- you'd have to go through the entire song and dance of turning movement to old, changing your model to something new and then back to your previous model, using the outfit changer menu to set your skin, and then enter the building... Every single time.

Edited by weesnaw

I noticed similar issues when testing last night with being pushed out of buildings/interiors, which was quite strange. Nice job working out the root cause. It could be that at the time of the model switch, these "walls/barriers" are enabled and then never removed when changing movement styles as the model did not change. Maybe I am lucky enough to find the code for that, will let you know here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LMS said:

I noticed similar issues when testing last night with being pushed out of buildings/interiors, which was quite strange. Nice job working out the root cause. It could be that at the time of the model switch, these "walls/barriers" are enabled and then never removed when changing movement styles as the model did not change. Maybe I am lucky enough to find the code for that, will let you know here.

Yeah, it definitely has something to do with the invisible walls being spawned in and never being dropped. I played around with it more, it happens on any kind of animal when switching back and forth between movement types, MP and SP variants.

Best of luck to you if you go searching for whatever function calls the walls, hopefully there's a way to make them drop when switching back to the old movement. Hell, if it's not fully dependent on the movement type and the invisible barriers could be removed from the animals in general since it seems more model dependent and not control scheme dependent, that'd be rad.

• 2 years later...

I like playing as a human and fighting other humans in a swamp packed with alligators -  but in this game, alligators do not engage anyone but the player..  Thats kind of a bummer really...  Even bears (unless spawned as body guards or with certain mod spawning) dont attack humans. sure there are scripted events but thats not natural play.  The game would have much more realism if an alligator would attack anyone who walked in their close-zone..  Having alligators only attack the player is lame.. I've seen a mod for practically everything but the one that would be amazing would be a hostile animals mod.. or "preditor behavior enhanced"  something like that anyway..  I'm sure someone would have made one by now so I can only assume that the alligators have some kind of coding that makes them ignore everyone but the player unless a dead body is dumped in water (of a certain depth).  I'm suprised that nobody has talked about this really.. you cant find anything on the internet where people are interested in the animal AI in that they would want them to behave more realistically and not discriminate between threats (by only attacking the player).  It takes a lot of immersive elements away really.  I hope someone figures it out because there are a ton of things one could do if everyone was fair game for predators.