Seeking scriptors for a collaboration

I recently uploaded a mod that turns the 3 empty cabins into fully decorated houses and I would like to add things like map blips, wardrobe access, shave, etc. (to make it more like the purchasable safehouses from RDR1) but have zero experience when it comes to scripting . If there is anybody out there that would also be interested in a mod like that and has the right skills to get it working, I think we could have something beautiful 😏. If any of that is even possible at this point of course.

)

Safe houses are cool and all, but what crossed my mind when I saw the map mod is (SPOILERS!):

Spoiler

making New Austin feel more alive by adding small farms maybe or expanding the existing towns and places.

But I havent messed with the map editor yet and also have I not messed with blips or placing new NPCs. I suppose its no sorcery, though.

@HughJanus I like that idea I might mess with the building stuff later today and see what i can do. So far the couple custom houses I’ve seen were pretty buggy and looked out of place, but the props aren’t all categorized yet so I might be able to find some better surfaces to use. I just added furniture in mine but the frames were already there.

Edited by dick hertz

Hi.

My advice to you as a mod developer is to look at other mods' source code.

Me and LonesomeBullboy are developing a mod which called "Bounties Expansion" for the last few months.
When I just started getting into this business, I was looking everywhere for complex open source mods. And from what I can tell, these are pretty rare.

With that being said, here is the link for Bounties Expansion source code. 

https://github.com/Shtivi/RDR2-Bounties-Expansion

And finally:  your mod looks good. I would very like to take a look at it's code, I might learn some new things.

Good job!

9 hours ago, Shtivi said:

Hi.

My advice to you as a mod developer is to look at other mods' source code.

Me and LonesomeBullboy are developing a mod which called "Bounties Expansion" for the last few months.
When I just started getting into this business, I was looking everywhere for complex open source mods. And from what I can tell, these are pretty rare.

With that being said, here is the link for Bounties Expansion source code. 

https://github.com/Shtivi/RDR2-Bounties-Expansion

And finally:  your mod looks good. I would very like to take a look at it's code, I might learn some new things.

Good job!

I am not a professional coder, so maybe you can shed some light into my darkness 😄

I never understood why simple mods like the "Gunshot Wound" mod for GTA 5, for example, used a whole load of different classes just so the main script could be 5 lines long.

When I started scripting in February, I had a hard time reading through all the source code I looked at, since people splitted it up unnecessarily.

I understand why you need a factory class for objects you need more often, for example. But I dont get why there have to be a hundred classes for every hair you move on character.

Thats why I decided to put all my code into one main file, hoping it would be easier and quicker for others to read, in case they wanted to make similar mods (thats what I hope for, at least^^).

Could you explain to me, why you guys decided to make three dozen classes? Is it for the teamwork, so you can split things up more easily?

On 7/4/2020 at 12:52 AM, HughJanus said:

Safe houses are cool and all, but what crossed my mind when I saw the map mod is (SPOILERS!):

Reveal hidden contents

making New Austin feel more alive by adding small farms maybe or expanding the existing towns and places.

But I havent messed with the map editor yet and also have I not messed with blips or placing new NPCs. I suppose its no sorcery, though.

I've started testing out building custom houses, and it is doable but takes a really long time for one house with the map editor as it is now (Ive been working on a house for 3 days now and only just finished the frame). I'm gonna talk to the creator and see if its possible to load in the models of houses around the map and just do the furniture, fencing, tools, and all that from scratch.

8 hours ago, dick hertz said:

I've started testing out building custom houses, and it is doable but takes a really long time for one house with the map editor as it is now (Ive been working on a house for 3 days now and only just finished the frame). I'm gonna talk to the creator and see if its possible to load in the models of houses around the map and just do the furniture, fencing, tools, and all that from scratch.

3 days?? Do you have to build them plank by plank?

9 hours ago, HughJanus said:

3 days?? Do you have to build them plank by plank?

Pretty much lmao. There’s a model for the frame at beechers hope when it’s  still being constructed but it’s noclipped so I had to fill the floor and walls with boards so you won’t just clip right through it 😭. Smaller buildings wouldn’t take as long but there aren’t enough materials yet to make it look good it always looks shiny and out of place

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HughJanus said:

Ugh, sounds tedious^^

Nice that you put the work in, though. Thumbs up for you!

Haha thanks man it definitely is. It was such a beautiful spot and when I saw how well it fit I just had to do it.

soon.jpg

On 7/6/2020 at 7:10 AM, HughJanus said:

I am not a professional coder, so maybe you can shed some light into my darkness 😄

I never understood why simple mods like the "Gunshot Wound" mod for GTA 5, for example, used a whole load of different classes just so the main script could be 5 lines long.

When I started scripting in February, I had a hard time reading through all the source code I looked at, since people splitted it up unnecessarily.

I understand why you need a factory class for objects you need more often, for example. But I dont get why there have to be a hundred classes for every hair you move on character.

Thats why I decided to put all my code into one main file, hoping it would be easier and quicker for others to read, in case they wanted to make similar mods (thats what I hope for, at least^^).

Could you explain to me, why you guys decided to make three dozen classes? Is it for the teamwork, so you can split things up more easily?

So that's an excellent question.

Knowing how to find the balance between scalable code and over-engineered code is probably what makes a good programmer to a professional and it's a skill learnt in time and experience. Basically, it all depends on your plan. 

In my mod I wanted every bounty hunting mission to have it's on unique features. How would you design it? 

I created an abstract class which used as a template (https://sourcemaking.com/design_patterns/template_method) and each mission inherits it and overrides it with it's own logic. 

The other option would be to create one class of bounty mission and force it to handle a lot of different logics. That would probably minimize the amount of classes you create, but also make it extermely difficault to scale. Even when it is only you who is working on it.

In this case, adding new bounties easily is one of the core features of the mod, and therefore I had to consider all of the options and decide which one of them is the easiest to maintain. Think about it, how a class containing the code of three dozens classes is going to look? How can you keep track of what is going on inside?

In general, you just need to have a good plan and stick to it. Like Dutch 🙂

• Like 1

@Shtivi Thanks for responding. After reading what you said, I took a second look at your github repo and saw that half of the classes and libraries are for the missions themselves. When I first looked at it, I didnt really look at the file names and just scrolled to see if I even had the time to look through all this and gave up :D

What I did now is just look through one of your mission files and it is really easy to read. Thanks for explaining!

• Thanks 1