Ped Damage Overhaul mod problem with FPS

I downloaded the newest version of this mod and tested it out. In the open and free roaming, its perfect. No dips in FPS (maybe 1-5fps here and there). I went into St.Denis and its stuttering and lagging and reducing fps to almost 25-30fps for me.

Is this normal? I followed instructions and downloaded scripthook from AB on his site (january release one) and installed both that and the mod into the rdr2.exe file location. 

So everybody is getting the huge fps dips whenever in st denis? or any town?

1 hour ago, dick hertz said:

I've never personally noticed any FPS dips. Do you have any other mods installed?

I'm also playing through epicgames launcher + rockstar launcher. 

It doesn't make any sense 😞

No one else is getting the huge fps reduction in town where a lot of npcs are and sometimes (5-10fps) free roaming.

Using this mod is like a completely different gunplay gameplay I would love to replay the whole story with this mod but so far in chapter 2 where i am at, everytime I head into valentine it gives me an absurd amount of fps reduction (nearly half of my normal fps) so its unplayable.

I'd check your game settings I used to get massive dips in towns too but changing some of the settings worked for me. Try putting your "geometry level of detail" setting all the way down to 0, and turn down things like shadow quality, ambient occlusion, lighting quality, tesselation quality ( I keep this at low you don't really notice it), Near/far volumetric resultion (huge difference), and disable FXAA. If you havent already done that

Hey @joshmcdanie1s , in the early days of testing it was reported by one guy that in combination with a trainer (I dont remember which) he got some fps problems.

Could you try using the mod without the trainer and check if that solves your issue?

Just for clarification: the fps issue was never reported since, but we also didnt do anything to fix it (since we could not reproduce the problem).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dick hertz said:

I'd check your game settings I used to get massive dips in towns too but changing some of the settings worked for me. Try putting your "geometry level of detail" setting all the way down to 0, and turn down things like shadow quality, ambient occlusion, lighting quality, tesselation quality ( I keep this at low you don't really notice it), Near/far volumetric resultion (huge difference), and disable FXAA. If you havent already done that

Sorry for the late reply. I just tested every single setting you mentioned on top of all the graphic settings as well. Even on vulkan it reproduces the same problem.

Just to be safe I put everything on Low and same thing. 

I really have no idea. I turned off nvidia filter as well because I use the sharpening tool. Same thing.

17 hours ago, HughJanus said:

Hey @joshmcdanie1s , in the early days of testing it was reported by one guy that in combination with a trainer (I dont remember which) he got some fps problems.

Could you try using the mod without the trainer and check if that solves your issue?

Just for clarification: the fps issue was never reported since, but we also didnt do anything to fix it (since we could not reproduce the problem).

Sorry for the late replies.

Thank you for looking into my problem. I did test it just now without the rampage trainer.asi and it still does the same fps cut. I recorded a video to show just how much fps it really cuts.

THis is in valentine so if I went to like St.Denis I'm sure it'll cut my fps even more. 

https://imgur.com/a/gpN7eCe

Edited by joshmcdanie1s

Also these are all the files/texts/etc in my rdr2 folder. Is there maybe something wrong in the folder?

https://imgur.com/a/UulIN7c

Other than that, my graphic settings in-game are a mix of medium/high/ultra with 1080p resolution and fullscreen, triple buffering on, fxaa off, taa high, etc

I average 60+fps mostly everywhere. 

Edited by joshmcdanie1s

Are you guys using the scripthook from AB from his website? Is this really the latest and most updated release? 

I read on the GTAforums/Red Dead section and people were getting stuttering/lag when using the old scripthook with plugins (.asi) which is what I think I'm getting as well?

Released 15 Jan 2020
Version v1.0.1232.17
Supported patches 1.0.1207.58/1232.17 and above

Is it possible I'm using the wrong version of the scripthook? I'm currently using the v1.0.1232.17 scripthook as posted top. 

My RDR2 from EpicGames launcher version is 1.0.1232.62

4 hours ago, joshmcdanie1s said:

Sorry for the late replies.

Thank you for looking into my problem. I did test it just now without the rampage trainer.asi and it still does the same fps cut. I recorded a video to show just how much fps it really cuts.

THis is in valentine so if I went to like St.Denis I'm sure it'll cut my fps even more. 

https://imgur.com/a/gpN7eCe

What is in the asiloader text file you have in your directory?

Also what does the rampage.asi do?

On 7/3/2020 at 6:49 PM, HughJanus said:

What is in the asiloader text file you have in your directory?

Also what does the rampage.asi do?

Looks like this. So it looks like it loads perfectly fine? 

Rampage.asi is the trainer. Doesn't give me any sort of problems. I can use it perfectly. 

Also tried to load the game without the rampage.asi and it still does the same thing

Annotation 2020-07-04 201452.jpg

Also this is my scripthookrdr2 log.

560135331_Annotation2020-07-04204515.thumb.jpg.d1aa8a1517b954ae2a30f8b0a80298c9.jpg

Edited by joshmcdanie1s

18 hours ago, dick hertz said:

Nah you're definitely getting it from the right place. If it was out of date I'm pretty sure your mods just wouldn't load.  Did you change anything in the .ini?

I tried every single version from 1.44 (standard, realistic) and then all three versions of 1.45 (overhaul, etc) 

Didn't change anything in the .ini files. 

I think I narrowed the problem down. I went into st. denis the most populated area. Probably about 20+ npcs around. I turned on the mod using f9 and my normal fps went from 65 to 37-40fps. Using a trainer, I deleted all npcs around me and my fps went back to 65+ instantly. 

But the game keeps loading npcs or something so it went back down to 37-40fps with the mod on. 

I tried the same method in valentine. A little bit different. I went to the sherriffs office area which is the most populated and turned on the mod. Same thing. 65+fps went down to 37-40fps with the mod on. I used a trainer, deleted all npcs and my fps went back to 65+ even with the mod on. 

It stayed at 65+fps with the mod on. I know this a script and it shouldn't have or have very little effect on npcs or does it? I have no idea. 

The script iterates through all NPCs and applies stuff like stumbling or bleeding, so of course its based on working with NPCs.

Yet it should not have that much of a performance impact.

What are your specs? Do you have a laptop or tower PC?

The log seems OK (though mine looks a bit different).

Performance-wise our systems are not that far apart:

Ryzen 7 2700 X

GTX 1080

32 GB RAM

SSD

Win 10

I get 50fps with my mix of mid/high/ultra settings (just tested in Saint Denis) and when I spawn 30 NPCs with the native trainer and look at the difference of mod enabled/disabled, the impact is 1-2 fps (if measureable at all).

I have absolutely no idea what tanks your fps that bad. Maybe it has something to do with the RTX cards? Do you have any of that enabled? (thats just a completely wild guess into the blue)

What you could try is disabling stuff in the ini and see if it changes anything for you.

Set all the chances to 0 and disable everything you can, see if that changes anything.

13 hours ago, HughJanus said:

The log seems OK (though mine looks a bit different).

Performance-wise our systems are not that far apart:

Ryzen 7 2700 X

GTX 1080

32 GB RAM

SSD

Win 10

I get 50fps with my mix of mid/high/ultra settings (just tested in Saint Denis) and when I spawn 30 NPCs with the native trainer and look at the difference of mod enabled/disabled, the impact is 1-2 fps (if measureable at all).

I have absolutely no idea what tanks your fps that bad. Maybe it has something to do with the RTX cards? Do you have any of that enabled? (thats just a completely wild guess into the blue)

What you could try is disabling stuff in the ini and see if it changes anything for you.

Set all the chances to 0 and disable everything you can, see if that changes anything.

It could definitely be the RTX cards. I'll try your suggestion and set everything to 0 and lower/disable stuff in the .ini file and tinker with it. 

I wish it was 1-2fps reduction on my end too. It just doesn't make any sense 😞 and I tried everything to fix it on my end. Almost ended up reinstalling everything but i'll leave that to a last resort. Thank you for the help so far!

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the same issue, just installed a few mods and was running fine and I installed the script hook and Ped damage and Bank robberies, and I went from 70fps on Ultra to 13, about to go and uninstall the scripthook and see if that caused it cause it seems to the issue. 

Yes I also had this problem/ I bought the game and added Lenny's mod, and this one, and everytime I was going to Valentine I had a huuuge fps drop, even if I had 60fps everywhere else. Even in Saint-Denis, with Ultra settings. Valentine was the only place where I had this bug. I decided to uninstall it, because it was unplayable. Since then, I didn't got this issue anymore, so that's definitely a thing with this mod, but how to solve this problem? No idea. 

I'm sorry for the trouble, friends. Unfortunately we have no way of fixing it yet.

As @Cuddlecreeper8 mentioned, there seems to be another way to handle NPC "parsing" via script hook. We put it on our list and check that, but I suppose there wont be any changes in v1.48. In v1.49 we might be able to adapt some things, if we find enough free time to spare until then^^

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, HughJanus said:

@Barnaby@joshmcdanie1s Attached you can find a testing build with the parameter "ModEffectRange" in the ini. Could you try lowering this and check if it helps? Could be that its still buggy, though. Havent had much time to test it.

PDO_v1.48b17.zip 151.54 kB · 0 downloads

Sure ! Thanks a lot for trying to find a way ! I'll test that as soon as I can and keep you in touch here !

9 hours ago, HughJanus said:

@Barnaby@joshmcdanie1s Attached you can find a testing build with the parameter "ModEffectRange" in the ini. Could you try lowering this and check if it helps? Could be that its still buggy, though. Havent had much time to test it.

PDO_v1.48b17.zip 151.54 kB · 4 downloads

I just tested it with ModEffectRange set to half of what it was so 512 and it made no difference 😞

Should I set it to like 1 or 0 and try it again? Not sure what the numbers refer to so I just tried it but yeah still getting the FPS drops in town

• Like 1