Removing bullet trails

Wisseppi

Hi everyone!
I have an adiction with realism in games, and the bullet trails bother me enough to try to make my first mod.

I want to remove them, but I don't know where to start. I hope it would be as simple as it sound.

Thank you!

I haven't looked into this specifically but if it is your first mod, I don't think it's the best way to start as I can imagine it being rather hard to remove as involve patching some code.

Since an ASI is just a DLL, I can run normal C++ code. For these two mods I modify specific functions in the game's code to disable certain behavior. Below is the code for no bullet trails, although I don't think it will help you much. We are looking for a specific pattern in memory (in this case the beginning of a function) and then making that function return immediately.

auto pattern = Detour::FindPattern("48 89 5C 24 08 55 56 57 41 56 41 57 48 8B EC 48 83 EC 70 41 8B 81 ?? ?? 00 00");
if (pattern != nullptr)
{
	Detour::PatchReturn(pattern);
}

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HughJanus said:

How did you find the pattern? Do you do something like cheat engine does and try to catch the re-occuring pattern while shooting?

Mostly static analysis (in IDA), tracing the parsing of weapon effects in the loader to where they are being stored and then where they are being read/used.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LMS said:

Mostly static analysis (in IDA), tracing the parsing of weapon effects in the loader to where they are being stored and then where they are being read/used.

Do you use the pro version or is such a thing possible with the free version of IDA too?

The free version is quite limited so I'd recommend the pro version if you can get it. Quite a few companies and universities offer licenses. Of course there are also other ways.

• Like 1