Blinking DRAW_TEXT issue

JulioNIB

Anyone have experienced a issue with scriptHookRDRDotNet where the draw_text method results in a blinking text like if there was a Wait() being called somewhere?

I have this issue only in .net code, in .asi works fine. Also, if i reload scripts like 10 times, the bug disappears and text starts to appear as expected.

This is the actual code that is called in a Tick        

Native.Function.Call(Native.Hash.SET_TEXT_SCALE, 0.0, scale)
        Native.Function.Call(Native.Hash._SET_TEXT_COLOR, col.R, col.G, col.B, col.A)
        Native.Function.Call(Native.Hash.SET_TEXT_CENTRE, bCentered)

If bDropShadow Then
            Native.Function.Call(Native.Hash.SET_TEXT_DROPSHADOW, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
        Else
            Native.Function.Call(Native.Hash.SET_TEXT_DROPSHADOW, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
        End If

'15533817421857667793UL = _DRAW_TEXT
        Native.Function.Call(15533817421857667793UL, Native.Function.Call(Of String)(Native.Hash._CREATE_VAR_STRING, 10, "LITERAL_STRING", sText), x, y)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 12:37 PM, LMS said:

You could try measuring the tick time and see if it perhaps skips a tick (maybe WAIT is not implemented correctly).

about the WAIT implementation, this is what we have in ScripthookV RDR DotNet plugin:

while (true)
    {
        // Yield execution and give it back to ScriptHookRDR2.
        scriptWait(0);

// Switch to our CLR fiber and wait for it to switch back.
        SwitchToFiber(sScriptFiber);
    }

this method "scriptWait" is imported from scripthookRDR:

IMPORT void scriptWait(DWORD time);

its very odd this issue, if we disable VSync the blinking is even more visible, more fps, other methods like DRAW_RECT works perfect

If DRAW_RECT works fine, then I guess it is not the waiting behavior. Perhaps the text buffer is messed up/mismanaged and gets cleared by accident sometimes?

thats the actual code:

Native.Function.Call(Native.Hash.SET_TEXT_SCALE, 0.0, scale)
        Native.Function.Call(Native.Hash._SET_TEXT_COLOR, col.R, col.G, col.B, col.A)
        Native.Function.Call(Native.Hash.SET_TEXT_CENTRE, bCentered)

If bDropShadow Then
            Native.Function.Call(Native.Hash.SET_TEXT_DROPSHADOW, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
        Else
            Native.Function.Call(Native.Hash.SET_TEXT_DROPSHADOW, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
        End If

'15533817421857667793UL the draw text method:
        Native.Function.Call(15533817421857667793UL, Native.Function.Call(Of String)(Native.Hash._CREATE_VAR_STRING, 10, "LITERAL_STRING", sText), x, y)

It looks fine to me, but I was thinking perhaps the Script Hook mismanages the translation from a managed string to unmanaged and the buffer then gets cleared somewhere accidentally. But I have never used that Script Hook so I cannot say why exactly it would not work for text but works for rect.

yeah, its a odd issue, i also noticed that if i bring the SNT menu (the trainer that comes with scripthookRDR by AB) and then close it, the blinking is reduced, seems that im missing to call something somewhere lol