Rage Plugin Hook Beginner Development Questions

gdizzle

So I'm pretty new at this, and I've literally spent two days attempting the NPCTaxi mod tutorial with very little success. Here's where I'm at.

There are two versions of the NPCTaxi file; empty and source. They both have an included RagePluginHook2.dll library. However, the empty version doesn't work correctly; Game doesn't contain a definition for WasKeyJustPressed(), so if you follow along with the tutorial, it won't work. It seems obvious that I should be using the RagePluginHook2.dll from the NPCTaxi source file, because that seems the most updated (i.e., Game has the correct definitions). However, I haven't been able to find a version of the Rage Plugin Hook that works with that (updated) library.

So far I've downloaded the latest RAGE Plugin Hook v2.97 (RDR2), I've downloaded the bundled version with RDRFR, I've tried them both with every variation of version.dll and Scripthook I can think of, and nothing really works. The best I've got is using RAGE Plugin Hook v2.97 (RDR2) and the old library from the empty version of NPCTaxi, which causes the Plugin Hook to load correctly in RDR2, and NPCTaxi (just the basic title and hello message) to display. However, targeting PED's, returning a keypress, killing them...nothing works.

So I'm looking for whatever is the current "correct" version of Rage Plugin Hook 2, along with an updated RagePluginHook2.dll library (specifically that has the Game definitions like WasKeyJustPressed, I guess, or that isn't so old I have to use the TempApi), so I can finally make progress on the tutorial. I've read pretty much everything I can find and I'm pretty stuck, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by gdizzle

The tutorial is based on an older version of RPH that, at the time, was a few weeks old and hence the API has changed. The RPH version from the website should be compatible with the latest game patch, so you can use that. As you noticed, some calls have changed, though. I believe the keyboard functionality is now in the Input class. There might also be a few comments on the tutorials or tutorial projects where people have asked similar questions, that might help you too. I do not have the time to update the tutorials right now, but Visual Studio's IntelliSense should hopefully help you quite a bit with figuring out what functionality is available.

In case anyone else is reading this, the RPH version from the website (and the included SDK) are what I needed to get things working. I'm literally new to the point I didn't know about IntelliSense, or using Object Browser to search for the call to see what class it had moved to. Now that I understand how things fit together, I'm moving through the tutorial pretty fast.

The only thing that's "broken" is when pressing F5 the RPH window no longer displays like it did with previous versions; it's somewhere, considering I can type and tab-autocomplete to do stuff like reload plugins, but I can't actually see the window. However, since I have like 30 mods installed there's no way for me to attribute that to an issue with RPH (just figured I'd mention it for context).

Thanks again for the help.