Back up system/uniforms

Boxhands

Hey I realize this section has been dead for a few months but I was hoping to make a couple of suggestions:

To call for back up, you push a key to blow your whistle. Any lawmen within ear shot would come to your aid. This would only truly work in the cities and towns. Back up would be pretty much non-existent in the back country. Maybe a Good Samaritan could come to your aid in the wilderness but there would likely be no other lawmen around to help. 

It would be nice to have adjustable uniforms: a Blackwater police uniform and a Saint Denis uniform each with a patrolman or Chief option. For all other lawmen who don’t have uniforms, maybe you could wear whatever civilian clothes you want with the appropriate badge (sheriff/marshal/Pinkerton) appearing on the shirt/jacket. 

I realize in a bit late to this forum but I wanted to put these ideas out there. Thanks for working on this project, I can’t  wait to see the end result!      

I like your suggestions, we actually have had similar discussions in the team when it comes to how much other cops should be part of the experience. In LSPDFR it is obviously very natural to have backup, whereas in RDRFR it could be seen a lot more like almost a lone wolf at times. Currently we do not differentiate response times based on your location (and I am not sure if everyone would like that), but it's something we could perhaps add in as an option for those who do.

Regarding uniforms, we currently have quite a few default models in the selection with their available outfits as well as the option for users to add their own models to the list, so that should be taken care of.

As far as uniforms go, outside of Saint Denis, once we have access to the "MP" Models, it seems that Basically any generic male with a badge pinned on his chest should do for that it seems to me? 

I do really like the idea of Dynamic response times - could that potentially be done by spawning a backup unit (if available) from the nearest Sheriffs office/police station? It seems that could naturally attend to be a small town out in the sticks sheriff, vice being part of an organised uniformed department. Granted, the whole how these backup guys would even know is something that I don't know how to address. 

24 minutes ago, Celtic12 said:

As far as uniforms go, outside of Saint Denis, once we have access to the "MP" Models, it seems that Basically any generic male with a badge pinned on his chest should do for that it seems to me? 

I do really like the idea of Dynamic response times - could that potentially be done by spawning a backup unit (if available) from the nearest Sheriffs office/police station? It seems that could naturally attend to be a small town out in the sticks sheriff, vice being part of an organised uniformed department. Granted, the whole how these backup guys would even know is something that I don't know how to address. 

I think even the singleplayer models have a badge that could be attached to it, so yeah you could probably play as any model with a badge which is quite neat.

That could certainly be done! We would have to see if it works due to pathfinding (might not be loaded for areas far away), but it should still be simulated/estimated based on distance. I am not sure if we really need to worry too much about "how did they know", it is a game after all so we have some creative freedom 🙂 I will throw something together for different response times for one of the next builds and we can see how it works.

It seems that pathfinding does work at a distance, at least some degree - I know with the RDO bounty hunt missions you can have the AI targets spawn miles off and be going to a location. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

As for the Badges, yeah the ones that Arthur and friends have for a bit - which have the nice aspect of being their own thing and not tied to a model, as you can wear them with any clothes in the game, at least on the Arthur model.

Interesting, I wonder if it is actual pathfinding or faked somehow. I'll play around with far away peds a bit and see if I get anywhere. Since we have the locations of all the stations, perhaps it is as simple as just spawning backup there.

On 2/23/2020 at 9:59 PM, Celtic12 said:

It seems that pathfinding does work at a distance, at least some degree - I know with the RDO bounty hunt missions you can have the AI targets spawn miles off and be going to a location. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

I looked into it some more and it seems that pathfinding unfortunately breaks if you get too far away. So we would have to see if we can somehow simulate it nicely.