Game BROKE After UPDATE

joebeefhash

Here's how to fix crashing on the build 1491.17
Download ScriptHookRDR2 V2

https://www.nexusmods.com/reddeadredemption2/mods/1472

and replace ScriptHookRDR2.dll in the game directory.

List of updated files

These mostly address security issues.

Steam\steamapps\common\Red Dead Redemption 2\Redistributables

Rockstar-Games-Launcher.exe Social-Club-Setup.exe

Steam\steamapps\common\Red Dead Redemption 2

installscript.vdf

appdata0_update.rpf

RDR2.exe

shaders_x64.rpf

update_1.rpf

update_2.rpf

update_3.rpf

update_4.rpf

===========

Or you can always revert your game to a previous version, see my post here:

https://www.rdr2mods.com/forums/topic/1309-unofficial-troubleshooting-guide-for-non-working-mods/page/5/#comment-5806

Other info

https://www.rdr2mods.com/forums/topic/1309-unofficial-troubleshooting-guide-for-non-working-mods/?do=findComment&comment=6161

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Utube Channels

Gunter Severloh (Arma 3)

Gunter Severloh RDR2

RDR2 Mod - Bandit Hideouts Mod - This mod adds 130 bandit hideouts, 40 ambush locations to RDR2, and More!

RDR2 Mod - Hired Guns Mod - Hire gunmen at saloons to travel, and protect you from predators and bandits!

1 hour ago, joebeefhash said:

You don't have dinput1.dll in there as well do you? 

To load Rampage you either need dinput8.dll or version.dll don't use both at the same time

Nope Im using only version.dll and when I try dinput its the same problem game just drops after launch like after 10 seconds. When I take the file away it works.

21 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

List of updated files

installscript.vdf

appdata0_update.rpf

RDR2.exe

shaders_x64.rpf

update_1.rpf

update_2.rpf

update_3.rpf

update_4.rpf

===========

https://www.rdr2mods.com/forums/topic/1309-unofficial-troubleshooting-guide-for-non-working-mods/page/5/#comment-5806

Other info

https://www.rdr2mods.com/forums/topic/1309-unofficial-troubleshooting-guide-for-non-working-mods/?do=findComment&comment=6161

Mate youre best 🙂 thanks its working now!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

List of updated files

installscript.vdf

appdata0_update.rpf

RDR2.exe

shaders_x64.rpf

update_1.rpf

update_2.rpf

update_3.rpf

update_4.rpf

===========

Other info

This may work but it certainly didn't work for me.

Now perhaps it's something to do with it being on Epic instead of Steam or Rockstar but here's the results for argumenting my later findings.

I tried to uninstall the game and clean everything out to have a fresh start. I can run the game with no mods, great! Then I installed the original scripthook with the nativetrainer, asiloader and dinput8 thing and it crashes a fraction of a second after the shotgun shell sound plays at the initial loading screen. I deleted the ScriptHookRdr2 file and replaced it with the V2 option...Now it loads but it crashes the game when I try to load a save, after the 3-4 cinematic screens, the game goes all black and then it stays like that for a minute or so before crashing and causing a nasty looking slowdown of my entire PC for a few seconds...I tried the version.dll thing as well, I tried it with both Hooks, the original and V2, I tried it with even both at the same time, just renamed...Crashes either at the shotgun shell beginning or after it loads up. 

TLDR: Nothing works, I tried everything.

Continuation: Now the weird thing I discovered is that only the .asi mods will be missing because I can still use the dinput8.dll that loads everything up and also the trainer, the asiloader and whatnot for mods that are in the ModManager package and in the lml package, those will load with these files (again, everything but the ScriptHook). In the ModManager.log I will have everything running, in the vfs.log, everything good, the only log that says that stuff is failing to load is the asiloader.log where it will go one by one with the mods and tell me that they failed to load (just the simple .asi mods, not the ones in the lml or separate folders...weird? but ok).

TLDR: Some mods work, just not the simple .asi that depend on the ScriptHook or ScriptHookV2 files.

What I found out is that nothing loads without the dinput8.dll file (I don't know what it does, i dont know why it's named as an input thingy when it loads mods but hey whatever). 

Only some mods, the ones that have dependencies on lml and ModManager, work with dinput8.dll in the folder but without the Scripthooks, both of them tested, V2 and original. (Mods such as crime_law & red_dead_offline, etc...)

So right now I'm playing with everything in the folder as it was before the update without the Scripthook file. the lml and ModManager stuff works but all the .asi simple mods that depended on the scripthook are not working. I don't know what to do, I'm out of ideas but the game is still beautiful and nice to play of course...just a bit annoyed that after half a year they randomly throw in an update that literally does nothing but fucks with my mods...I'm on Epic, I can't backtrack my versions unless I torrent it, which I don't wanna do.

Hope this helps but for me nothing works from all the solutions I saw in a day of searching and testing.

If anybody knows anything or found another solution I can try, I would be oh so happy. Thanks!

1 hour ago, TheRealMrPepper said:

This may work but it certainly didn't work for me.

Now perhaps it's something to do with it being on Epic instead of Steam or Rockstar but here's the results for argumenting my later findings.

I tried to uninstall the game and clean everything out to have a fresh start. I can run the game with no mods, great! Then I installed the original scripthook with the nativetrainer, asiloader and dinput8 thing and it crashes a fraction of a second after the shotgun shell sound plays at the initial loading screen. I deleted the ScriptHookRdr2 file and replaced it with the V2 option...Now it loads but it crashes the game when I try to load a save, after the 3-4 cinematic screens, the game goes all black and then it stays like that for a minute or so before crashing and causing a nasty looking slowdown of my entire PC for a few seconds...I tried the version.dll thing as well, I tried it with both Hooks, the original and V2, I tried it with even both at the same time, just renamed...Crashes either at the shotgun shell beginning or after it loads up. 

TLDR: Nothing works, I tried everything.

Continuation: Now the weird thing I discovered is that only the .asi mods will be missing because I can still use the dinput8.dll that loads everything up and also the trainer, the asiloader and whatnot for mods that are in the ModManager package and in the lml package, those will load with these files (again, everything but the ScriptHook). In the ModManager.log I will have everything running, in the vfs.log, everything good, the only log that says that stuff is failing to load is the asiloader.log where it will go one by one with the mods and tell me that they failed to load (just the simple .asi mods, not the ones in the lml or separate folders...weird? but ok).

TLDR: Some mods work, just not the simple .asi that depend on the ScriptHook or ScriptHookV2 files.

What I found out is that nothing loads without the dinput8.dll file (I don't know what it does, i dont know why it's named as an input thingy when it loads mods but hey whatever). 

Only some mods, the ones that have dependencies on lml and ModManager, work with dinput8.dll in the folder but without the Scripthooks, both of them tested, V2 and original. (Mods such as crime_law & red_dead_offline, etc...)

So right now I'm playing with everything in the folder as it was before the update without the Scripthook file. the lml and ModManager stuff works but all the .asi simple mods that depended on the scripthook are not working. I don't know what to do, I'm out of ideas but the game is still beautiful and nice to play of course...just a bit annoyed that after half a year they randomly throw in an update that literally does nothing but fucks with my mods...I'm on Epic, I can't backtrack my versions unless I torrent it, which I don't wanna do.

Hope this helps but for me nothing works from all the solutions I saw in a day of searching and testing.

If anybody knows anything or found another solution I can try, I would be oh so happy. Thanks!

Update: I also tried everything that has to do with the Rampage Trainer, dragging in and out various files like version, dinput, both scripthooks, rampage stuff, nothing works with any combination.

PS: May I ask someone who backed up the updated files to perhaps give it to me so I can have the previous version basically? and have the mods working. I am on Epic and I can't revert the stuff like Steam people can

Edited by TheRealMrPepper

I confirm that ( my ) mods with asi files work with the asi loader version.dll + the scripthook file linked in this comment section.

Lenny's simple trainer also works.

Although I noticed the .ini files where shortcuts and such are set does not work... So whenever you want to activate/deactivate a certain mod using its shortcuts defined in their ini files, they does not respond ingame...

Can anyone confirm this?

• Like 1

Hey everyone. I'm having the same issue or atleast I got most of my mods to run however when I put the version.dll file into the game directory, the game loads into black screen. If anyone gets a fix to this please let me know. Thanks a lot. 

21 minutes ago, TsundereJesus said:

So far I've gotten through with ped damage and scripthook, had to take out the Rampage trainer

Really? Rampage is working fine for me, as are all my other non-rph mods. I've got both version and dinput8 dlls.

Everyone wants happiness, no one wants pain. But you can't have a rainbow, without a little rain.

2 minutes ago, fortuneFrank said:

How you do that dude? Are you on R* launcher? If scripthook is in directory, game doesnt start for me

I'm using this version of script hook and just put that in my game directory. I didn't change out any other files so the version and dinput are old version files. And I have the game through steam, which launches via rockstar launcher.

Edited by SneakySteve
Adding answer to question I missed
  • Thanks 1

Everyone wants happiness, no one wants pain. But you can't have a rainbow, without a little rain.

Yea I'm using the same version, still doesnt work though. sad. 

Last time rdr was patched, an updated scripthook fixed the mods. But if scripthook is working for you and for others, does that mean no update is coming? Am I left to my own devices here?! 

Back to the drawing board I guess

19 hours ago, LordLopeS said:

I did something that worked here, I don't know if it will be for everyone but for me it was like this:

I removed the scripthookRDR2.dll (It is the V2 version of the scripthook that is on the nexus mods website, I removed it because they said it was the problem), then the game opened normally without the mods, after that I closed the game and put again the scripthookRDR2.dll and the game started normally with the mods loaded, that is, in my case it was just some conflict, I just had to remove the file from the folder and put it back after the game started normally.

If anyone can test it too and see if it works.

I can't seem to change the ini shortcuts for PED DAMAGE OVERHAUL. Somehow before the update I had a few keyboard shortcuts set with letters instead of numbers to cancel them out, now it's not letting me do that. It worked on the old version. Basically I never used Kill Downed Peds and Longer Bleedouts so I didn't want them mapped. Now I can't unmap them so I hope what you are saying isn't true lol.

PED Damage Overhaul is a pain in that one respect, you can only use F Keys for toggles. It seems to work in other things, but I will specifically try ini settings and report back. 

7 hours ago, TheRealMrPepper said:

Update: I also tried everything that has to do with the Rampage Trainer, dragging in and out various files like version, dinput, both scripthooks, rampage stuff, nothing works with any combination.

PS: May I ask someone who backed up the updated files to perhaps give it to me so I can have the previous version basically? and have the mods working. I am on Epic and I can't revert the stuff like Steam people can

Did you see the instructions on reverting it back though? Hoooly lol. Take a look at them and you shouldn't feel too bad! But I know there are some people here who have the old version. Mainly RDRFR users who don't have an updated RAGE Hook so I'm sure they have old version. I only backed up my modded files or I'd happily upload them for you, sorry mate.

I guess one good thing about Steam is if you choose to uninstall, you're literally left with a backup of your mods that has been created for you unintentionally. I went into Steam folder and everything was there except for Rockstars stuff. I mean every mod and every scripthook and .dll that would require it. 

Also, I doubt just draggin the old files into your location would work, I would be pleasantly surprised if you got that to work. I feel like it wouldn't make it past verification just because in the Epic system you are on the latest update of the game, you throw those old files in there and it's just not going to work, but I hope it works and let me know how it goes! 

Looks like PED DAMAGE OVERHAUL uploaded a file yesterday, so I'm going to download that and see if it fixes the ini problems of not being able to configure hotkeys. Because it also wasn't working when trying to remap regular F keys. They work, but they still have default values. For instance you set Kill Downed Peds to F3, save ini, launch game and press F3, nothing happens. It instead uses original value even though it's not saved in the ini. Which is F2 by default I think. 

https://www.nexusmods.com/reddeadredemption2/mods/184?tab=files

On 2/7/2023 at 10:17 AM, SneakySteve said:

UPDATE: After updating script hook using this mod https://www.nexusmods.com/reddeadredemption2/mods/1472 the game will load. Issue is now only RagePluginHook, which drops a rather cryptic looking error log when launching (but does not prevent game launch)

I just tested RPH and it works fine for me on the latest version. Can you try again?

It works! For me, the version.dll with the Rampage Trainer and the Scripthook V2 not only repairs the solution but it also makes some fixing that I had with the mod setup before as well, some options in shop being greyed out or unable to be bought.

The thing that was messing everything up and crashing the game with this combination was the NoInvisibleSnipers mod, I found this out after seeing an update post on the V2 Scripthook on the Nexus Page.

Someone knowledgeable did a lot of testing and he found out that that mod was crashing their game too. For anyone wondering for other solutions, go to all the modded forums of those mods' pages, but this finally worked for me in the end.

13 hours ago, LMS said:

I just tested RPH and it works fine for me on the latest version. Can you try again?

I just redownloaded RDRFR and overwrote all the files then launched with rph again, still no access to console in game, and the log file still generates that same message. I notice it also has a version.dll, could this be a conflict with the asi loader?

Was going to try RDRFR mod for the first time today and I am also getting fatal error. Game launches fine and everything, RagePlugin is not working though. All though my log file was WAY shorter. But ultimately gave same exact error verbatim. Probably has something to do with Steam Version or something, idk, but yeah, RagePlugin log file gives identical error. Just got done removing it, but hell, I'll probably reinstall it in a second so I can post my log file.

Found a left over log file! Got lucky. Don't have to install and uninstall again lol. 

Spoiler

[2/9/2023 11:45:10 AM.488] Started new log on 2/9/2023 11:45:10 AM.488
[2/9/2023 11:45:10 AM.489] ====================================================================================================
[2/9/2023 11:45:10 AM.483] Log path: G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Red Dead Redemption 2\RagePluginHookC#.log
[2/9/2023 11:45:10 AM.489] Log verbosity: Verbose
[2/9/2023 11:45:10 AM.533] LOADING: ZBxDXN7mXXpeG5R$zmdFHSmqiPR4zDKq6UJ_nZ8hnJZiBA6v_ibrBKu8kjgqzCa9Dw::NPxmhpq36oEzXtoEUpag8TY79HiN1vJoMbPjSnC$0amE
[2/9/2023 11:45:10 AM.625] LOADING: ZBxDXN7mXXpeG5R$zmdFHSmqiPR4zDKq6UJ_nZ8hnJZiBA6v_ibrBKu8kjgqzCa9Dw::QZ2Gz0JghrQRR4eYbuXtoDc
[2/9/2023 11:45:10 AM.654] LOADING: ZBxDXN7mXXpeG5R$zmdFHSmqiPR4zDKq6UJ_nZ8hnJZiBA6v_ibrBKu8kjgqzCa9Dw::0ekbyc13UTf8Z3UoYGpMwug
[2/9/2023 11:45:10 AM.664] LOADING: ZBxDXN7mXXpeG5R$zmdFHSmqiPR4zDKq6UJ_nZ8hnJZiBA6v_ibrBKu8kjgqzCa9Dw::4mL4or2ItACHf2iv64e4tYKdeIWdA7jgJGjnxa7$TpMw
[2/9/2023 11:45:10 AM.666] LOADING: ZBxDXN7mXXpeG5R$zmdFHSmqiPR4zDKq6UJ_nZ8hnJZiBA6v_ibrBKu8kjgqzCa9Dw::eMY59v4_uA4Z$XgDx2oMzU2GkyROGu_QynmAaviIKVCOliLeUdiUMMCeHwSLwLP$iQ
[2/9/2023 11:45:11 AM.090] LOADING: Initializing HtLfA0jIOTNOd7SYY27CUi6ax_8yYgfWPas7aixEDiWN...
[2/9/2023 11:45:11 AM.132] LOADING (CHANGED): Initializing HtLfA0jIOTNOd7SYY27CUi6ax_8yYgfWPas7aixEDiWN... OK
[2/9/2023 11:45:11 AM.132] LOADING: Initializing PbUTiTmVGnomCDmOSaJ5rTq9hxb8yl1DGKR$3HUGlq1T...
[2/9/2023 11:45:11 AM.201] LOADING (CHANGED): Initializing PbUTiTmVGnomCDmOSaJ5rTq9hxb8yl1DGKR$3HUGlq1T... FAIL
[2/9/2023 11:45:11 AM.202] FATAL ERROR! Could not initialize HookManager. Could not initialize to this game   at clUTr8QYm1aKZNcQLdPtKvuhNF0yyRlPt9c76pOZjZhUGzfr5i_43oZn0MIV6CPLBA.8J9r7XGySspi7EwVfWhocN_DgUnHMX8oyfbLmIWX4kOQ(Func`1 )
[2/9/2023 11:45:11 AM.202] at ZBxDXN7mXXpeG5R$zmdFHSmqiPR4zDKq6UJ_nZ8hnJZiBA6v_ibrBKu8kjgqzCa9Dw.hAXm7XcRP$RWRq$eZKmJrSQ(FRRGvykOxQtVKCgCvcJj0sZ3Y3rdGlRarvRuzdNmAFsQJW8jGrdvud63iySJZSpq4gieTCsWxXIit7D0QZUQfKcVWsNpDimLzfmEaba_Frt5uGBpby_CcSqe1KSFuuBlQg )
[2/9/2023 11:45:11 AM.202] at sZJr2G73PwZLF8_nux5f$_7868mrTfTzroq6LRMLvXbH.hAXm7XcRP$RWRq$eZKmJrSQ(Boolean )
[2/9/2023 11:45:11 AM.202] at Rage.EntryPoint.KI5PgXoxhq6jdtpaiDy34_g()

1 hour ago, SneakySteve said:

I just redownloaded RDRFR and overwrote all the files then launched with rph again, still no access to console in game, and the log file still generates that same message. I notice it also has a version.dll, could this be a conflict with the asi loader?

Best to use the most recent version.dll though RDRFR might have that already. I suspect it could be a Steam issue, though, as it works on the RGSC version for both, Cyan and me. Can you PM me your RDR2.exe file? Thanks.

24 minutes ago, bcknee said:

http://www.dev-c.com/rdr2/scripthookrdr2/ Alexander released update today going to try it when i get a second but I trust him that it works given his track record. 

Update: After installing this latest update RPH is loading properly again, not sure what exactly was going wrong but everything works fine again.