weird tree lod flicker bug

hey guys, i found a weird bug that causes specific trees to flicker when approaching them at this one spot (everywhere else is fine) its very distracting and ive tried everything to fix it but i cant figure it out! Im starting to think its a game bug where the lod isnt set correctly since it happens only on this spot, would someone be able to help me? its driving me nuts!

this is what i already did:

- removed all my mods lml and scripts

- reset all my settings

- installed older drivers

i found out that the problem disappears when setting lodscale to 2.0 in the system.xml but my system cant handle that 😞

i made a screen recording of the problem:

https://imgur.com/a/svNQjpU

for anyone having this problem here is how i fixed it:

change this setting in your visualsettings.dat to this:

#Config values for Tree Imposters               
imposter.trees.SLODFadeLength 415.0

EDIT; nvm causes other issues

• 4 weeks later...

Yep I’ve been having this exact same issue ever since the latest RDR2 update that added Nvidia Reflex and AMD FSR 2.0 it only happens in this one spot for me too! I’m  running it on a RTX 3080Ti RYZEN 9 5900x glad I’m not alone on this! 

On 11/2/2022 at 12:42 AM, CurtisG2000 said:

I’ve tried a clean reinstall of the game with no mods installed that didn’t solve my issue either but I’ve went to this area on my Steam Deck and it doesn’t seem to happen at all on that device which is very strange…

On 11/2/2022 at 12:35 AM, CurtisG2000 said:

Yep I’ve been having this exact same issue ever since the latest RDR2 update that added Nvidia Reflex and AMD FSR 2.0 it only happens in this one spot for me too! I’m  running it on a RTX 3080Ti RYZEN 9 5900x glad I’m not alone on this! 

its soo annoying, ive tried pretty much everything but it just wont go away. odd that it doesnt happen on your deck i feel like it might be an issue with ampere cards specifically because i dont think noticed it with my rtx 2080 before upgrading to the 3080 i have now, i checked the previous version (cracked) aswell and it has the same issue.

8 hours ago, jacob200220 said:

its soo annoying, ive tried pretty much everything but it just wont go away. odd that it doesnt happen on your deck i feel like it might be an issue with ampere cards specifically because i dont think noticed it with my rtx 2080 before upgrading to the 3080 i have now, i checked the previous version (cracked) aswell and it has the same issue.

I’ve done 2 playthroughs of the game ever since I’ve had my 3080Ti build and been all over that specific area near Pronghorn Ranch and never have I once noticed this bug before this most recent patch, but like you, I’ve also tried downloading older builds of the game but via the Steam Console Depot instead, and it also occurs on those older builds too, which I’m baffled by! I’ve recently changed my game settings to use DirectX12 API over VulkanAPI, and it seems that while it still occurs when using DX12, it happens wayyy less often over Vulkan! Maybe it could be an Ampere Driver issue; it's just strange how it only happens at that one specific spot!

https://imgur.com/a/ND53o5g

Edited by CurtisG2000

17 hours ago, CurtisG2000 said:

I’ve done 2 playthroughs of the game ever since I’ve had my 3080Ti build and been all over that specific area near Pronghorn Ranch and never have I once noticed this bug before this most recent patch, but like you, I’ve also tried downloading older builds of the game but via the Steam Console Depot instead, and it also occurs on those older builds too, which I’m baffled by! I’ve recently changed my game settings to use DirectX12 API over VulkanAPI, and it seems that while it still occurs when using DX12, it happens wayyy less often over Vulkan! Maybe it could be an Ampere Driver issue; it's just strange how it only happens at that one specific spot!

https://imgur.com/a/ND53o5g

those pictures are exactly whats happening with me too, atleast im not the only one i guess!  it only happening at this one spot is really odd, ive never noticed the bug either and i play around in that area alot so i figured it must be my new card however; since you say you have never seen it before with your rtx 3080 ti until recently makes me doubt that it would be my card.... its nice that it happens way less on dx12, sadly that api is barely playable for me so i guess im out of luck.

you mentioned it didnt happen on steam deck which does run the game through vulkan on linux right? maybe it has something to do with some other software update or something like that? very interesting.