Community Impressions [Spoiler Warning]

Gan Ceann

Hello 😀,

Now that RDR2 has been out for a number of months, hopefully everyone has had a chance to play through the story and form an opinion of the final product.

I'm interested in hearing what the site's community has to say about the game.

• Did you like/dislike it?
  • What did you think of the story and/or characters?
  • Would you change anything about the game? (Be it the story, game mechanics, handling of NPC interactions, horses/weapons etc.)
  • Is there anything about the game in particular that stood out to you? (Whether it's bad or good, or just noteworthy)
  • Are you interested in the online mode?
  •       If so, do you have any interest in dedicated servers? (for example, FiveM for GTA V or SA:MP/MTA for GTA SA)

They are just some questions I had, feel free to answer as many/little as you want, or share anything else you think about it.

⚠️There's always a chance for people to have conflicting opinions, so please stay civil and remember that they are just opinions.⚠️

• Like 1

• Gan Ceann changed the title to Community Impressions [Spoiler Warning]

OK, so I like the game a lot.

The characters are well written (especially the character arc of Sadie is marvellous to watch) and its fun to listen to them talk to each other by the camp fire or during rides from A to B. I really enjoyed that they slowed the gameplay down and made you settle in with the world and the people you are introduced to and are able to watch. It is nice that for a change you dont get bombarded with one action sequence after another and the game really takes the time to let you sink into the dense atmosphere and stunning world.

Gameplay-wise I really like how they make the open world feel alive. You are not permanently confronted with 1000 same-ish question marks and the ever same stuff to do in open worlds. The world truly feels alive with the people reacting to you and remembering what you did last time you came to visit their town.

The AI (which enables you to see new behavior and live through new scenes even after the third playthrough) is the point where the game really shines...but also left some potential untouched.

In a shooter (and you do shoot a lot in this game), I find it outrageous that Rockstar keeps taking steps back in their Euphoria programming. GTA IV was already pretty cool (with people holding their stomachs when shot in the body and stumbling around when shot in the legs, or lying on the ground when not able to walk anymore), RDR 1 was even cooler (with people kneeling when they got shot in both legs), but after that the progress kept slowing down and even declining. When I shoot a lot in a game, this is an aspect where it needs to be entertaining (and it is possible, but they are just not doing it somehow^^). I try fixing that with mods now and am on a good way, I think.

Spoiler

What I particularly liked was the Epilogue with John. You felt set back to the days when you first played RDR1. Found that very good - and also the death of Arthur (that it depended on your moral, how he came to die in the end).

Im not a friend of online play, so I have to skip that part of your question. When I play multiplayer, I do it on the couch with split screen :)

What I disliked in particular does not have to do with the game itself but with the way you are forced to play it. I dislike launchers a lot (!) and I dont like being forced to use one. But this is a cancer which has been plaguing the industry for quite a while now and I fear it has come to stay.

I prefer buying on GOG, but if its not possible (and I dont want to wait long enough for an eyepatch to come out) I have to make do with what is offered, unfortunately.

So, these are my 2 cents. Looking forward to reading other opinions :)