Is there a way to moddify the RDR2 weapons sounds?

So my idea is to make a sound change for the weapons from RDR2. I'm a big fan of the Cattleman just by the way it looks, but i would look to make it sound like the Schofield or Navy revolver.

I have OpenIV for RDR2 but it is limited in changing things.

The idea would be for revolvers only:

• Cattleman sounds like Schofield or Navy Revolver
  • Schofield sounds like LeMat or Navy Revolver
  • Double Action sounds stay or like the Cattleman

Does anyone know if or how to change the gun sounds?

You can replace awc files using LML but since there is no way (at least I don't know of any) to actually edit those or build them, you are limited to swapping files.

21 hours ago, LMS said:

You can replace awc files using LML but since there is no way (at least I don't know of any) to actually edit those or build them, you are limited to swapping files.

Thanks for your reply bud! I will test by swapping the awc files... if I found out how.

One of the examples that comes with Lenny's mod loader shows you how to replace an awc file. You just have to find the file's location and names with OpenIV.

Search for WEAPONS_PLAYER.rpf. If I remember correctly each weapon has their own awc file with their gunshot sounds so swapping them might actually work.

13 hours ago, crossed99 said:

One of the examples that comes with Lenny's mod loader shows you how to replace an awc file. You just have to find the file's location and names with OpenIV.

Search for WEAPONS_PLAYER.rpf. If I remember correctly each weapon has their own awc file with their gunshot sounds so swapping them might actually work.

💯For crossed99! I found the awc files within WEAPONS_PLAYER.rpf copied them to a new folder. Now I will need to find out what code/string I need to use.

I have a install.xml with:

<Resources>
        <Resource>
            <DataFile>strings.gxt2</DataFile>
        </Resource>
        <Resource>
            <FileReplacement>
                <GamePath>audio:/x64/audio/sfx/WEAPONS_PLAYER/REV_CATTLEMAN_FINAL.awc</GamePath>
                <FilePath>audio/REV_SCHOFIELD_FINA.awc</FilePath>
            </FileReplacement>

But this does nothing... so far.

Either way thanks for helping!!!

• 2 weeks later...

@RichChicken

On 7/26/2021 at 8:03 AM, RichChicken said:

💯For crossed99! I found the awc files within WEAPONS_PLAYER.rpf copied them to a new folder. Now I will need to find out what code/string I need to use.

I have a install.xml with:

But this does nothing... so far.

Either way thanks for helping!!

In install.xml,

<Resources>
        <Resource>
            <DataFile>strings.gxt2</DataFile>
        </Resource>
        <Resource>
            <FileReplacement>
                <GamePath>audio:/x64/audio/sfx/WEAPONS_PLAYER/REV_CATTLEMAN_FINAL.awc</GamePath>
                <FilePath>audio/REV_SCHOFIELD_FINA.awc</FilePath>
            </FileReplacement>

I think audio:/x64/audio/sfx/WEAPONS_PLAYER/REV_CATTLEMAN_FINAL.awc is supposed to be audio:/sfx/WEAPONS_PLAYER/REV_CATTLEMAN_FINAL.awc.

The awc files can't be swapped because the awc files contain multiple audio sounds and the hashes inside both don't match each other

Screenshot (277).png

Screenshot (279).png

Edited by WesternGamer
Edit to notify the replied person

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I realize that this post is old, but I was also looking for a way to do this and found the answer. You have to edit the associated weapon.ymt file for the gun audio that you want to change. I did this with Maverick Weapons, but this should work with any mod's .ymt file as long as the one you're editing isn't being overridden by another mod. I also downloaded the mod Online Weapons in Story Mode https://www.nexusmods.com/reddeadredemption2/mods/2195 because the .ymt files it has contain the code for the audio for the various weapons. All you need to do is copy the line of code for the audio you want and paste it into the code block for the weapon's audio that you want to change. A tutorial is also provided by the mod author on the mod page.