Can't get LML to work with steam version

I've been trying to use LML to mod the game, but I can't get it to detect that the game is running. I'm using the steam release, as mentioned in the title. Presently, I have the files installed in the root directory as instructed, and when I run the Mod Manager, it never detects that the game is running. I've already tried running everything on admin, having the mod manger both in the game root and in a separate folder, but nothing seems to work, no matter what it does not detect the game running.

I've attached a screenie of my game root to show that I have it installed correctly, or perhaps that I don't, as the case may be.

Do other people have this problem? Does anybody have a solution?

12.png

I have this problem too. Haven't been able to get LML to work in my Steam version of RDR2 either. Been looking for a solution for hours...The Mod manager recognizes that I am playing the game, but the menu font hasn't changed; showing that LML is working. In addition, the mod I am trying to run with LML says it is enabled in the manager, but is not in showing in game.

Edited by RICK96

10 hours ago, GallowsKnight said:

I've attached a screenie of my game root to show that I have it installed correctly, or perhaps that I don't, as the case may be.

Do other people have this problem? Does anybody have a solution?

You have installed everything correctly, but are missing an ASI loader to actually load vfs.asi. You could for instance use the one that comes with Script Hook or download my trainer and use its ASI loader (version.dll). Then you will be all good!

7 hours ago, RICK96 said:

I have this problem too. Haven't been able to get LML to work in my Steam version of RDR2 either. Been looking for a solution for hours...The Mod manager recognizes that I am playing the game, but the menu font hasn't changed; showing that LML is working. In addition, the mod I am trying to run with LML says it is enabled in the manager, but is not in showing in game.

If the mod manager recognizes that you are in game, that is usually a good sign and indicates that LML has loaded successfully. So you should be very close to having everything running. If you want, you can attach your vfs.log here and I can take a look at what might be missing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LMS said:

You have installed everything correctly, but are missing an ASI loader to actually load vfs.asi. You could for instance use the one that comes with Script Hook or download my trainer and use its ASI loader (version.dll). Then you will be all good!

Not OP but I was having the exact same problem, and it turns out that's exactly what the issue was. Of course, I haven't tested any of the mods I've got installed yet except for the one that changes the menu font, but that works, so I'm guessing everything else should as well. Thank you 🙂

9 hours ago, LMS said:

If the mod manager recognizes that you are in game, that is usually a good sign and indicates that LML has loaded successfully. So you should be very close to having everything running. If you want, you can attach your vfs.log here and I can take a look at what might be missing.

Here's the log

vfs.log

Edited by RICK96
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LMS said:

It all looks good! The gun metal rework mod is active and loaded. You probably just did not install the font examples (or put it in the wrong place) so you are not seeing it. But LML is definitely loaded and working.

Hmm, if you prefer, I am in the discord and can chat there. Ricklol is the username. I put the gun metal rework mod in the lml folder as requested in the mod description, but it doesnt seem to have worked in game. Thanks for the super quick reply and awesome mod! People like you make the RDR2 PC version amazing!

Edited by RICK96

Well, I've installed the LML, but the Mod manager is not working.

Says "Error starting downloads watch dog. Please see the logfile for more information."

But I don't konw where to find the log, I can't open .dll files. 

But the Mod loader is working, only it's not working.

BTW, how can we add new horses to the stack? I've found another mod for the horses, but got confused on how to use it. 

Another thing, is it possible to get more stable slots? Actually a lot of ppl don't really want to have too many changes, as any changes would seriously demage the gaming experiance. 

P.S. Last but not least, THANKS for all your work. 

Well, I put the modmanager folder into the game root folder, there's no error pop out and the game is not working🤣

Oh, BTW, the beeps is still working, but the game just won't start.

Edited by Hydrawish

I will address the main issues: the watch dog error indicates that you already have the Mod Manager opened somewhere and it cannot listen for downloads as another instance already does. It does not matter what folder the Mod Manager is in, it will work from any.

If the game does not start, perhaps it is best to reinstall LML and all its components to make sure everything is in the right place.

Thanks for your reply. 

It's really wired that if I put the file right in the root folder, then it's working. 
Maybe tomorrow I can try to reinstall the game...That's a little big for me😭

more than 100G 

2 hours ago, Hydrawish said:

Thanks for your reply. 

It's really wired that if I put the file right in the root folder, then it's working. 
Maybe tomorrow I can try to reinstall the game...That's a little big for me😭

more than 100G 

All files in Mod Loader are supposed to be in the game folder. Mod Manager can be anywhere, but Mod Manager is also optional and you can always install mods by copying them to your LML folder.

Ah, I've read your instruction. Possibly because I've installed other mods, too. 

Does lml have any issues together with scripthook? A speedup mod is really nice but it requires script hook. 

BTW, is it possible to extend the stable slots? I believe that would be very popular. 

10 hours ago, Hydrawish said:

Ah, I've read your instruction. Possibly because I've installed other mods, too. 

Does lml have any issues together with scripthook? A speedup mod is really nice but it requires script hook. 

BTW, is it possible to extend the stable slots? I believe that would be very popular. 

Should not cause any problems, they work in very different domains.

And stable mod is unlikely to say the least as it is all hardcoded in R* scripts - probably easier to add a custom stable script.

4 hours ago, LMS said:

Should not cause any problems, they work in very different domains.

And stable mod is unlikely to say the least as it is all hardcoded in R* scripts - probably easier to add a custom stable script.

Oh, that's a sad news. Or, one step backwards, what about change the temporary horse quantity? Is that possible? 

WOW, think about this, it would be exactly like the cowboys when transfer, lmao.

Anyway, thanks for your patience. 

Um, I've tried again today. I've re-installed all 100G+ game. 

And it's wired that as long as I put the MOD manager folder into the game root folder, then the game won't start.

Remove it,  then everything is fine except the watch dog issue that I mentioned above. 

I have no clue what might be wrong there, it really not should not matter. Sorry about that.

As for the watch dog, make sure you do not have it running already and that port 5454 on your system is available.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Okay  i have been at this for a few hours now. I have downloaded lml correctly and done everything according to videos and guides online. All my mods seem to be downloaded correctly and when i look in the lml file in my game root folder its shows all my mods in the "downloader" file inside the lml file. The ModManager does not seem to be picking up RDR2 running as it says "Cannot find running game. OneClickService is not available."  All my mods are enabled as well. I have run out of things to try. I will say i am not the most techy person and honestly i have never had an easy go with modding games but i was always told modding RDR2 was easy using lml but i cant seem to figure it out. 

Any help would be great! 

with just lml it launches, but the mods don't apply, with lst it crashes during loading my save, with the asi loader or the script hook it doesn't even launch the game, help, i just want my shiny guns and white coat

Edited by marxyfen

• 6 months later...

the mods won't apply

before i downloaded redhook 2 using an outdated youtube tutorial of someone using like a kinder surprise egg wrapped in cooking foil as a microphone so i had no idea what they were saying and also they were using a virus browser on a mac which made it more confusing and that's the only tutorial i can find that is actually relevant to the problem i'm having

and so now where i'm at is i got lml to detect that i have the game open using the stuff the marshall dude said but i still haven't heard the alleged 3 beeps i'm supposed to hear and when i get into the game none of the mods are there

Edited by shamone
typo